Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know allot of people on here think the ZooZone cage is not a good idea

but i have joined another Forum to see what they think and they seem to love the Zoozone cage and also my Breeder who i am getting the hoglet of recomended this cage to me and she has been a breeder for 20 years.
it has fine ventilation and is more safe as they can not climb up the cage or ingure there self.

it has been very recomended by many websites and another hedgehog forum (with loads of hedgehog experts)

this is the Zoozone cage... http://www.feedem.co.uk/small-anima...134/zoozone-critter-animal-6099-5172_zoom.jpg

Oh and if you live in the UK i would say please join this forum http://pygmyhogsuk.forumandco.com/ as it is for all the hedgehog owners in the UK

and has allot of great information :D

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have or should I say HAD a Zoo Zone. I quit using it. They are not a good cage. They are even worse than aquariums for ventilation because of the way the sides curve up to the top.

The plastic is brittle and cracks easily if you happen to bump it and the area where the door hinges breaks.

The height is limiting to which wheel you can use and only the very largest zoo zone will work with a standard wheel. Because of the way the cage curves, the wheel has to sit out for the side considerably so takes up even more floor space.

Hmmm, have there even been hedgehog breeders in the UK for 20 years? I'd do some research and get some confirmation on that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
If you look long enough you will always find at least one person to support your ideas...this does not mean that it is right. It just means that there is someone else out there just as wrong as you are.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ok, you can follow their advice, or follow the advice of some of the most knowledgeable people in the area of hedgehogs, your choice. just dont start trying to spread the bad ideas on this side of the pond.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Nancy has anywhere between 25-35 hedgies in her home at any given time, she has tried most cages out there and knows better than pretty much anyone around here what works good and what doesn't. I would listen to her advice over any number of other people.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmmm well i think im going to follow my forum and breeders advice as my breeder is the number1 hedgehog breeder in the UK and i think she knows what shes talking about......so why on this forum doesnt any one like the zoozone cage a i meen what harm can it do to the hedgehog?????

over here it is one of the most reccommended cages for hedgehogs

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Nancy said:
I have or should I say HAD a Zoo Zone. I quit using it. They are not a good cage. They are even worse than aquariums for ventilation because of the way the sides curve up to the top.

The plastic is brittle and cracks easily if you happen to bump it and the area where the door hinges breaks.

The height is limiting to which wheel you can use and only the very largest zoo zone will work with a standard wheel. Because of the way the cage curves, the wheel has to sit out for the side considerably so takes up even more floor space.

Hmmm, have there even been hedgehog breeders in the UK for 20 years? I'd do some research and get some confirmation on that.
OP, I think Nancy pretty much covers the reasons not to use the cage in this post.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have (soon to be had) a Zoo Zone cage. I was told hoe great they where, that wire cage (with plastic bottom) was the devil and would hurt my hedgehog. All those years (2 1/2) I tought I had a pretty good cage. But now that I've been told, I see the downsides. I tought it was ok for ventilation but when I look at it, it's not much better than a aquarium. I'm planing on moving next week and I'll get Litchi a new cage. The SuperPet or Living World cages are way more cheaper than Zoo Zone, I don't get why you really want that cage. If I had known before, I would never spend 89$ on a small Zoo Zone when I can pay 79$ to get more than 1 1/2 of it's size in a SuperPet model.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I thought Zoo Zones were great until I had one. In fact I even recommended the largest one to parents of my babies. It's amazing how we think somethings is great until we actually have one and use it which is one reason why I rarely recommend something anymore unless I have used it myself.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
over here Zoozones are £40

and its not that i really want it but im getting it and was just wondeirng why everyone on here thinks its bad and every on the over foum thinks its good .. Nice cage the one you said but i dont think there avablible over here well at least not that make and all the other ones like that are about £90-£100 (yes i know allot)

so why does everyone on here think differant from the other forum i just dont get it! and i dont know what one to belive!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was also a pain to try to attarch the Silent Spinner (no so great too, with the new cage will come a Cake Wheel) to the side of the cage so it won't tip over. Cause a Cake Wheel wouldn't fint in Zoo Zone. My initial plan was to buy a bigger ZooZone, but since I saw the wheel wouldn't fit, I started questioning my choice and since I just saw eveyone's opinion, I'm really diching this cage.

By the way 40£=85 CND$ so it's about the same price.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hedgehog madness x said:

and its not that i really want it but im getting it and was just wondeirng why everyone on here thinks its bad and every on the over foum thinks its good .. Nice cage the one you said but i dont think there avablible over here well at least not that make and all the other ones like that are about £90-£100 (yes i know allot)

so why does everyone on here think differant from the other forum i just dont get it! and i dont know what one to belive!
Sometimes different community has different opinion because, sometime, they don't know better. When I did my reseach on hedgehog prio to get one, I did only seach french website from my province. According to them, ProPlan, Sience Diet and Royal Caning where the top best food ever. Imvectin (sp) should be given to evey hedgies comming home and I should bathe my hedgie every month and so on.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nancy said:
I thought Zoo Zones were great until I had one. In fact I even recommended the largest one to parents of my babies. It's amazing how we think somethings is great until we actually have one and use it which is one reason why I rarely recommend something anymore unless I have used it myself.
yeh i guess im just going to have to try it out to see what it is accually like lol

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FiaSpice said:
Hedgehog madness x said:

According to them, ProPlan, Sience Diet and Royal Caning where the top best food ever. Imvectin (sp) should be given to evey hedgies comming home and I should bathe my hedgie every month and so on.
hmmm so isnt sience diet good for them? because i thought it was good as it has high protien and low fat??????

EDIT= is science diet same as diet plan?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Why try it for your self? if you are going to be following the advice of an Inferior forum then by all means go right ahead, but please dont come here broadcasting it....all you are going to do is upset alot of hedgehog owners. I know i will get in trouble for this but, if you are just going to follow the advice of the other board then STAY THERE!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Hedgehog madness x said:
hmmm so isnt sience diet good for them? because i thought it was good as it has high protien and low fat??????

EDIT= is science diet same as diet plan?
You don't judge the food just based on protein and fat content. You also have to look at the ingredients. A good food would have a meat (or meat meal) in the first five ingredients, preferably as the first ingredient, and not have a lot of fillers, such as corn or grains. By-products are also not good, because it's just the leftovers, such as bones, beak, feathers, etc. You also don't want to see a lot of dyes and additives in the food. The Science Diet Indoor food, for example, has chicken by-product meal as the first ingredient, followed by brewer's rice, corn gluten meal, and ground whole grain corn, which are all fillers which do nothing for the hedgehog as far as nutrition.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
dorasdaddy said:
Why try it for your self? if you are going to be following the advice of an Inferior forum then by all means go right ahead, but please dont come here broadcasting it....all you are going to do is upset alot of hedgehog owners. I know i will get in trouble for this but, if you are just going to follow the advice of the other board then STAY THERE!
It sounds to me like Hedgehog madness x has already bought the cage & that is why they are going to 'try it for themselves."

Hedgehog madness x, dorasdaddy does have a point though. You continue to come back saying you're going to try it & don't understand why people have an issue with it. Everyone on this thread has continued to recommend that you look for alternatives to housing because of issues with ventilation & space in that cage. You clearly have already made up your mind which is unfortunate.

That said, Pleas Please Please closely monitor your hedgie when you first get the cage. How much ventilation is there really? You won't actually know the answer to this as your not in the cage yourself. A good test might be to take the entire plastic lid off first thing in the morning to see what aromas have been caught in the cage do to the lid. (Think, would you like to live in your washroom all night with an unflushed toiled?)

& If you're absolutely set still why not consider drilling some ventilation holes in the clear plastic? This is something many owners do when caging in the plastic tubs to increase ventilation. You'd really be meeting both forums down the middle - using the cage & increasing ventilation.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.