Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm gonna be upgrading my hedgie's cage real soon, and I just wanna double check a few things to make sure I'm doing everything right. He's going to be getting a Guinea Pig Habitat Plus by Midwest and I'm also getting him a Zilla heating setup.
The wattage part confuses me a bit and I'm trying to figure out how high I need to go? My room drifts around 70-72. I was wondering what wattage other people got and how that worked out for them. I'm also not sure which bulb to get, there's a lot of options! I know it's supposed to be infrared, but I'm seeing "night time" and ceramic bulbs. Is there a real difference in functions between the two?
I had one other question. I'm going to be setting the lamp on top of his cage facing down. I was wondering if it will get too hot and melt the top of his cage?

Thank you!!

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
For a cage as open as those ones are you'll probably need two 10 inch domes with 100-150 watt bulbs. Both will need to be plugged into a thermostat to control the temperature. You need Ceramic Heat Emitters and domes that are rated for CHE's, not all are. Yes there is a difference between the night time bulbs and CHE's. Night time bulbs give off a small amount of light that bothers hedgehogs and CHE's give off no light only heat. As long as they're plugged into thermostats they won't get hot enough to melt the top of the cage. If they ever got that hot it would be way to hot for your hedgehog.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thank you!! I tried following the links that recommended products on the heaters for dummies thread (at least that's what I think it's called), but they were broken. What appliances would you recommend?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts