Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
My hedgehog is about 8 months old right now. He used to eat his dry kibble just fine, but for a while got bored of it. So, I decided to moisten his kibble and puff it up. He seems to like it a lot better, perhaps because of the flavors coming out more? I offer another small bowl of the normal dry kibble in a corner of his cage and he generally ignores it, like he used to do. Do you think this is a cause for concern, or perhaps he's just very picky? When I offered him dry kibble, I would offer wet cat food sometimes and he would eat it all up before his dry kibble. Should I stop moistening his kibble? Is giving him moistened kibble all the time bad for his teeth? TYIA!

·
Administrator
3,671 Posts
He may be favoring it simply because its easier to eat. I try to find kibble that is hedgehog mouth friendly sized, meaning tiny. But even then I have had a couple of really small hedgehogs who seemed to struggle with the kibble and were much happier once a tiny amount of water was added. Have you tried adding a lot less water to see what his reaction would be? For example try just adding a teaspoon or so to his kibble to see if that works. It doesn't take much to keep the kibble more or less dry, but to make it easier to break apart when they eat.

A very long time ago, likely over 10 years ago now, I had a hedgehog who had trouble eating hard kibble. Being very picky and refusing to eat soft foods, I found that just a teaspoon of water added to the kibble was acceptable. It kept the kibble hard, but made it easier to crunch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He may be favoring it simply because its easier to eat. I try to find kibble that is hedgehog mouth friendly sized, meaning tiny. But even then I have had a couple of really small hedgehogs who seemed to struggle with the kibble and were much happier once a tiny amount of water was added. Have you tried adding a lot less water to see what his reaction would be? For example try just adding a teaspoon or so to his kibble to see if that works. It doesn't take much to keep the kibble more or less dry, but to make it easier to break apart when they eat.

A very long time ago, likely over 10 years ago now, I had a hedgehog who had trouble eating hard kibble. Being very picky and refusing to eat soft foods, I found that just a teaspoon of water added to the kibble was acceptable. It kept the kibble hard, but made it easier to crunch.
Hi thanks for your response!
I added a lot less water to his kibble last night, but he ate about half what he usually eats. Not sure if its just because I spoiled him with treats last night or perhaps he found the texture was not soft enough. I don't think it is a tooth issue as he eats these crunchy cat treats I offer just fine. His kibble is small enough to fit in his mouth but when he did eat it completely dry it would crunch and snap pretty loudly, so it was probably pretty hard to eat. Or maybe it just isn't very appetizing.. im not sure, as I keep dry pieces in his forage mat and he ignores them completely. Do you think moistened food would be bad for his teeth? Or maybe i should change up his mix? Continue offering him slightly moistened instead of soaked food to see if he will take? I'm not sure!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts