Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i just copied and pasted from the other forum, it's listed under "health" and then i clicked "toxic food" or something like that....

'If they are those little sugar treats then they are no good for hedgies. I've heard other ppl say too that there is no need for any animal to eat those as its pretty much just refined sugar. Cottage cheese is a healthy dairy snack that can be given in very small moderation, you won't want to overdue it with this but can be given in very small amounts once in awhile I have heard of some ppl also giving very small amounts of plain yogurt on occation and this can add good bacteria to their systems as well.'

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yogurt (real yogurt, not the drops) is a great snack for a hedgehog. There is no lactose in yogurt. The lactobacillus bacteria that makes yogurt breaks the lactose down and it's perfectly digestible by hedgehogs and humans who are lactose intolerant.

ETA: Plain low fat yogurt of any brand is fine. Also plain Greek Yogurt is ok. Do not feed light or diet yogurts due to the artificial sweeteners and chemicals.

Actually, a teaspoon of fruit flavored yogurt isn't going to harm a hedgehog just avoid the "dessert" flavors like chocolate and boston creme pie, etc.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Yeah, I guess so :p As long as it isn't filled with sugar so maybe check out the organic section of your grocery store.

You posted a thread about JandaExotics, and I can't tell you much... but did you read the breeder's health guarantees before purchasing your hedgehog?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
HedgeMom said:
Yogurt (real yogurt, not the drops) is a great snack for a hedgehog. There is no lactose in yogurt. The lactobacillus bacteria that makes yogurt breaks the lactose down and it's perfectly digestible by hedgehogs and humans who are lactose intolerant.
wow, i didn't know that. where do you get real yogurt (in the States)? does Whole Foods carry it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it's been about 3 weeks since i've ordered it and she has been in contact some but she's had something to go wrong and i understand about that but she still hasn't sent it..

gettin a little worried :p

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
fracturedcircle said:
HedgeMom said:
wow, i didn't know that. where do you get real yogurt (in the States)? does Whole Foods carry it?
Hehe HedgeMom meant "real yogurt" as in the yogurt us humans normally consume, rather than "yogurt drops" that companies have made as a treat for small animals. Plus, yogurt has "good" bacteria, which is good for both humans and hedgies. ^_^

So any normal yogurt brand is fine, as per HedgeMom's prior instructions as to the "light and diet".

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Levi, could you please start each of your threads in the appropriate forum section? For example, this thread should be in Diet and Nutrition. "Forum Questions" is a section for technical help only.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
oh, i had no idea about yogurt drops. but what exactly yogurt is good? like if it says "plain" or do i need to look for something else? (yeah, i only eat flavored ones, although kefir should come close to plain yogurt...)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts