Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering (again) about mites. Mika hasn't been scratching nor does she show any other signs of mites, ie quill loss. However I think she either still has mites or she has dry skin. Every time i bring her out, looks like dandruff flakes fall from her for a little while. Also, her quill saturation on her rump looks sparse. Much more-so when she's prickled up and huffy, maybe because it's because her quills stand up more and I can see her skin?

I haven't found any great pictures of hedgehog mites, so I was wondering if anyone had any good pictures (closeups) of what mites look like, it'd be a great help. Again though, she's not scratching at all; I remember when she DID have mites for sure, she was non-stop scratching.

I guess I'll try some olive oil next bathtime just in case it's dry skin. Anyway, she's been much more friendly today, even letting me pet her back... 5:35 in the morning, time to go to sleep... Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think there was one member that was able to see a slight movement when mites were present but normally they aren't visable and have to be seen under a microscope. The scratching could be from dry skin, I use the Aveeno bath on mine and he hasn't had a problem with dry skin yet. I haven't had to add oil into the water but I don't know if this is because the climate is humid here. I'd try the oatmeal bath and if the itching doesn't cease you may have to bring her in to the vet to see if its mites and get the Revolution for Kittens.

Hope Mika feels better :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts