Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Loofah!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my hedgie has some yellow gunk on her quills and yellow flakes. She itches a lot. Maybe I should take her to the vet for Revolution treatment? I've tried oatmeal baths and flaxseed rinse water, putting flaxseed in her food, a medicated shampoo (given by vet) and nothings working, we've been battling flaky skin and dryness for half a year now but this yellow gunk is new. Im planning on making a vet appointment asap
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Plant Domesticated hedgehog Fawn

Staple food Cuisine Grass family Ingredient Close-up

Finger Grass Nail Eyelash Whiskers

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,801 Posts
Time for a veterinary visit. Ask for a skin scraping to be done. Her symptoms are most likely mites, however, I had one with yellow gunk and itchiness before that turned out to be a bacterial skin infection. He also had a lot of quill loss (mites can cause this too) and white pustules formed around the base of the quills when it got bad.

For mine, the vet I was using at the timetreated for mites. Which didn't help. As the infection got worse, he ended up with permanent quill loss (bald spot) over a large section of his rump/back.

·
Registered
Loofah!
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Time for a veterinary visit. Ask for a skin scraping to be done. Her symptoms are most likely mites, however, I had one with yellow gunk and itchiness before that turned out to be a bacterial skin infection. He also had a lot of quill loss (mites can cause this too) and white pustules formed around the base of the quills when it got bad.

For mine, the vet I was using at the timetreated for mites. Which didn't help. As the infection got worse, he ended up with permanent quill loss (bald spot) over a large section of his rump/back.
what kind of treatment was used for the bacterial infection? thanks for the reply :)

·
Administrator
3,801 Posts
He was prescribed antibiotics. As a side note, he was prescribed one version and the infection didn't improve. We had to do additional testing, a culture and sensitivity test, to determine what antibiotic would work. He had an antibiotic resistant strain of bacteria.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts