Hedgehog Central banner

Yard time = mites?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Stephanie76 
#1 ·
Just curious, but I noticed today when getting the hogs out for some yard time, that there are these little ... tinnnnnny ... black/brown specks ALL OVER the cement pathway I was sitting on and they were moving.

First question: Are these mites?

If so, my hogs have been exposed to them and probably could use some Revo... This is where the problem arises. They love ... and I mean LOVE being outside in the yard...

Second Question: Would I treat them if they are just to be put outside again tomorrow (or in the near future) for their playtime? Or would I completely cut out the yard all together and therefore, not let them be in "their element"... ?!

#2 ·
As far as I can gather, mites are light-coloured, close to white if not completely white. Those are probably fleas, you'll definitely want to give your hedgies some Revolution for that. It's a very bad idea to leave parasites untreated, as they can make your pet very sick. Certain types of worms are transferred through parasites, (and mosquitos, I believe) so the best thing to do is get rid of the ugly little buggers, and FAST.

You probably don't have to cut out the outside time completely, as long as you treat for fleas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.