Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
3,637 Posts
She could be stress related or damage related quilling. Some hedgehogs will lose a lot of quills when they have had a big health problem (like surgery). Diet changes can also cause quill loss as they grow in new, stronger, healthy quills.

If she is growing a bunch back in and everything else seems fine I think I would just wait and see. Her skin may get a bit flaky and dry if she has a lot of new quill growth. I've seen that before during a major quilling too. You can find a couple of threads where Nancy and I have both responded about stress related quillings. I had a hedgehog that went through a stress related quilling and lost a huge number of quills each time I held her. She was at least 2 at the time and had nearly bitten the tip of her tongue off (she got a little overly excited over a mealworm). While she was dropping a bunch of quills she was also growing nearly as many back in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just updating. Xena is def losing less quills and growing in more and more, she is much less bald than she was before. Her eating, pooing, sleeping, running etc seems perfectly fine. The onyl think I am worried about is that on her forehead, just behind her ears there seems to be some open wounds with some yellow crusts beside it. It's has crusted op now so it isn't bleeding but it doesn't look good. I've discovered 1/2 similar spots on her body also. I am wondering, could she have poked herself with her loose quills, is this something that can happen when growing new quills? Or could it be another bacterial infection? Or maybe a yeast infection from her 2 weeks of antibiotics...?
I gave her an Aveeno bath on Tuesday to just rinse some flakiness and some of the crustiness that was on her head...

21 - 22 of 22 Posts