Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought she was just scared that I was watching her. But I got closer and realized her eyes were closed. Shes asleeep on her wheel! Not running not stuck nothing. Its a mesh wheel from Petco and its supposedly safe for her. She little openings are really small and her feet or toes cannot fall through. So is this normal?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I would take that wheel away right now its NOT safe at all and could hert here realy bad you need to get a hedgie safe wheel their are lots of threds about safe wheels..Im not trying to be mean just dont want your hedgie to get her feet or toes stuck and ripped off even if the toes can not fit the nail can get in their and do some damage also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
zoologist said:
yeah, thats not a safe wheel. personally i'm partial to the flying saucer.

and my hedgie sleeps on the wheel. not only does he sleep on the wheel, but he drags his bed onto the wheel to sleep in that as well. :roll: strange little hedgehog, lol!
where do i get that?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Juicebox said:
zoologist said:
yeah, thats not a safe wheel. personally i'm partial to the flying saucer.

and my hedgie sleeps on the wheel. not only does he sleep on the wheel, but he drags his bed onto the wheel to sleep in that as well. :roll: strange little hedgehog, lol!
where do i get that?
I got mine at PetSmart. You need to get the large size one :mrgreen:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3155602

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohh okay. Ill try to find a petsmart near by. Im not so sure she will use it though and I heard it comes apart sometimes?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Juicebox said:
Ohh okay. Ill try to find a petsmart near by. Im not so sure she will use it though and I heard it comes apart sometimes?
Mine loves it. I have not had it ever come close to falling apart. If it did, they would take it back and refund the money. I bought a Comfort Wheel which he ignored and they let me return it.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I've never heard of a FS coming apart. It's considered one of the better wheels for hedgehogs, I think. Definitely better than mesh ones.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I haven't heard of the FS coming apart before either. I have one, and I've never had any problems with it.

Those mesh wheels are possibly the worst wheel out there. I'd take it out now, regardless if you have bought another one yet to take it's place.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think the stories I've read about the Flying Saucer coming apart are talking about a good feature of it: that it comes apart for cleaning... not that it comes apart accidentally while hedgies are actively running on it.

I'd guess, though, that those hedgies who like to burrow under things might be able to disassemble it on their own if they got up under the saucer part and pushed?? Has anyone seen that happen?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are you guys talking about the steel one that costs like 80 bucks or the plastic one? and juicebox is most definately a burrower. she goes under the mesh wheel all the time!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
They're talking about this wheel: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3155602
The hedgies I've heard that have it have all been reported to love it. If you don't mind spending the money, though, Reaper's Cake Walk Supreme wheel is well worth the cash. And it's $40 in US money, not $80. I'm sending him the check for my wheel tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah same one I was talking about. I read the comments or some customer reviews somewhere and it said she had to constantly be putting it back together. I was like, hmmm.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, its that same website. Click on the customer reviews and read what the lady had to say. o-o

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Calm down Aleshea. She isnt going to be using that wheel for a good amount of time. She just had two babies remember? How would you feel if you just had twins? Super tired. I wouldnt want to go on my treadmill or w/e for weeks!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Juicebox said:
Calm down Aleshea. She isnt going to be using that wheel for a good amount of time. She just had two babies remember? How would you feel if you just had twins? Super tired. I wouldnt want to go on my treadmill or w/e for weeks!
............So I guess all the breeders who take their wheels out of their pregnant hedgehogs' or recently birthed cages are worrying over nothing? Breeders have warned to always take wheels out because it would be possible for the mother to end up running on the wheel WITH a baby in her mouth.... So...Obviously all the mothers at the breeders' feel like running within a day...Why wouldn't yours?

Humans and hedgehogs are entirely different. They have much tougher survival instincts and they will run around. They get up and around MUCH quicker. They need to, it's how they survive.

That wheel is NOT safe, it IS possible for your hedgehog to break her leg on it, I do not understand WHY you would refuse to remove the wheel, especially when there is little to no effort involved in taking a wheel out of a cage. Everyone here is worried about the well being of hedgehogs, and everyone here has told you to take the wheel out...So please, listen to the advice given and stop brushing it off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Juicebox said:
Oh yeah same one I was talking about. I read the comments or some customer reviews somewhere and it said she had to constantly be putting it back together. I was like, hmmm.
You can always return it if it doesn't work out :)
Be sure to keep your receipt.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just have to say that you are being quite rude to Aleshea, when she is giving you help, and worrying about YOUR hedgehog. You on the other hand, dont seem to care much about the advice everyone is giving you. :?

·
Registered
581 Posts
And people wonder why i go of like i do sometimes. My frustration has a low boiling point and a very low tolerance for those that ignore the advice that they ASKED FOR!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts