Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this spot on my hedgehog; I just took her to the vet for her squinty eye and mites a couple days ago on Thursday. I was given ofloxacin for her eye scratch and revolution for her mites (i don't know if either of these meds could have contributed so I'm including them). So she has been scratching a lot lately because of the mites. It is right by her left shoulder and has a red line in the middle which i think looks like a scratch and it's surrounded by a yellow crust-like I believe. Does anyone know if the yellow crust indicates an infection or if it's a normal scab process? i'm just worried because it's a yellow crust and i don't know what that means. Any help or your experience would be appreciated because I'm stressed out about her

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
One of her nails on her front left foot (the same one she has the scab/scratch/drainage (whatever it is) got caught on a piece of fleece today so it also could have been from her trying to get it unstuck and over-stretching that piece of skin. I'm just really worried it could be infected. She is behaving normally; she's running on her wheel and around her cage and eating normally.

I previously had thought her skin was just dry before I realized it was mites so I had put olive oil on her skin so I am wondering if it could've been that as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's hard to tell from a picture if it's infected or not. Try cleaning the crusty stuff off and see if there is any drainage or redness. If there are either of those then you'll need to make a vet appointment.
what would drainage look like if I cleaned the yellow off?? would there be more yellow stuff again? And how would you recommend cleaning it off? I just gave her revolution three/four days ago and was told not to give her a bath for at least two weeks. And I don't want to pick it off because I can imagine that would be painful but can't think of anything else besides using a paper towel or towel with water on it and just soaking it. I can also try to get another picture of it if that would help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's hard to tell from a picture if it's infected or not. Try cleaning the crusty stuff off and see if there is any drainage or redness. If there are either of those then you'll need to make a vet appointment.
okay weirdly enough I was playing with her this morning and it just kinda fell off. there's completly normal skin underneath it so i don't know what could've caused that. I have put oil on her skin before because i thought originally it was dry skin and not mites. And I did miss an eye drop into her eye yesterday a couple hours before I found it so I don't know if the oil and the eye drop could've reacted like that. Or it may have been a scratch that healed because there was a little bit of what looked like a streak of blood in it.
I got an appointment at 4 oclock this afternoon before it fell off so if it comes back again i will have it looked at. I have included a picture of it after it fell off for reference

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also she has little yellow dots on her skin on her quills; may be oil buildup but I'm wondering if it could be anything else other than that. I would have given her a bath to try and get it all off but was told not to because I just gave her revolution. I however found a little yellow with a white tinge plaque on the inside of her ear; would anyone know what that is and how i would clean it? I'm 99.9% positive that I have never gotten oil inside her ear so I as well don't know what that would be

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I would stop using oil, it can cause a some skin problems and can make others worse. The yellow in her ear could just be ear wax, you can clean it off with a warm wet cloth. If there starts to be an odor coming from her ears then it would be an ear infection. The piece that came off just looks like a scab, she might have scratched herself and it has healed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts