Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
My hedgehog has had the same issue for over a year now. Same thing, no mites, no infection, he sleeps with a fleece blanket etc.. there was nothing wrong. The vet (also experienced with hedgehogs) said it could be from sweating after rubbing on their wheel and it got itchy so he scratched it, created a cut and kept picking at it. Harry was prescribed what sounds to be the same oral antibiotics and that seemed to help him for awhile. A few months later he started picking at it again, the vet said it was because scar tissue can become very itchy while its healing (can take up to a year to heal under the skin) and even though we can't see air on the skin there is scar tissue underneath. So, it will be an ongoing problem for awhile. I've never tried bendryl but I found that bathing him in Aveeno Baby excema or calming oatmeal bath helps a lot! I bath him in this frequently but if I find him picking at it I'll put him the bath right away and I find he's immediately relived and calmed down. I hate taking away his wheel but if he won't stop picking at it for days on end I'll take it out because running on the wheel causes more irritation.

I hope you find something that works for you guys :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.