Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
Yes, that cage is fine and if you get it, email me and I will send you photos and directions how to make it more user friendly that the whole front flips up. It's an easy fix that will cost about $4 to do.

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
There are a few things that need changing. The sides of the cage are way to low and is an escape waiting to happen. You need to have either very high sides that go at least a few inches above the wheel, or better yet, a lid. Hedgehogs will climb wheels and other furniture to get out and the sides of that bin are low enough she could very easily climb right over. For example, last winter I had a fairly small 6 week old baby get out of a 13" high bin. All he had in the bin was a hedgie bag and his dishes as I was just starting to wean him. I have no clue how he did it but his bin got a ventilated lid immediately.

The red bulb needs to be a heat emitter with a thermostat to control the temperature. Although some hedgehogs are not bothered by red, many are and will either not come out in red light or will not be as active.

Be careful with the wire fixture. The are easy to get burned and with it being that low in the cage the hedgehog could try to climb it.
:)

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
Just because she doesn't climb now doesn't mean she won't decide to tomorrow or next week or next month. All they need is a bored night and then they find something to do. Don't assume because she doesn't climb now that she never will. Cages themselves need to be climb proof and escape proof and not dependent on an external barrier. Depending on what the play fence is, some of them can be easily climbed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.