Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so they aren't actually gutted stuffed animals. They are toy/bed thingies made to look like animals, and I think they are the most adorable things EVER! Marshall has an Alligator, Elephant, and Fish, but they are hand-wash only so I'm wondering if it would be worth the trouble. I'm also wondering if a hedgehog would actually even go inside of them, and was thinking if I did get one I would stuff it with fleece strips for the hedgehog's digging pleasure. Of course, the most important question would be if these are safe for a hedgehog?

Alligator: http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-hide-n-sleep-alligator/
Elephant: http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-ele-fun/
Fish: http://www.ferret.com/item/marshall-plush-hide-n-sleep-for-ferrets/

I also found a neat machine-washable fish, but it is about twice the cost and I'm not sure I'd want to pay that much (plus shipping) just to find that my hedgehog refuses to go into it.

Homemade Fish: http://www.fairfinders.com/hedgiebags/bigfish/index.html

Does anyone have any of these (or something similar), or have you maybe just heard something about them? I will have other places for my hedgehog to hide/sleep in scattered around his cage, but this would just add so much to the cute factor! (I know, I'm such a dork!)

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
It will depend on the hedgehog if they would go inside. Each hedgehog can be quite different in what they will or will not use. As long as the opening is big enough to remove a quilled up hedgehog, I say give it a shot. I may have to watch to see if they have any in the stores around here or order one... they are very cool. However, I noticed they mentioned a hanging bell in the elephant, I would remove that.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
They are definitely cute!

I would be concerned with washing, unless you don't mind hand washing it often. Hedgies can be pretty messy, and I know there's no way I'd let Inky sleep in the same blankets for any longer than a week (providing he didn't get them too dirty).

I've seen the fish before, and there are no little things on there that should be dangerous. I would say if a hedgie will use it and you like it, get it! The alligator and elephant I have not seen so I can't say anything regarding how suitable they would be. I would assume, though, that if they are made for ferrets they can easily withstand a hedgie.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought the fish. If your hedgehog is on the large side, I would suggest you either try one of the other animals, or forgo it all together.
I intended to give this toy to my Gnarly, who is a bit on the pogzilla side. He was able to get in and all comfy, but once he raised his quills, he was quite stuck.

I ended up giving it to my much smaller male, Goku, who does not get stuck if his quills are raised.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
Mika, The Octo-play looks really roomy. Are the holes in fact large (hard to tell since I don't know if you have really small hedgehogs or not. Those look really interesting and am wondering if Rose & Poptart might like something like that in their play area. They love the oatmeal boxes to run through, but I bet something soft would be more fun.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Julie, I've looked at the octopus before and decided against it because the holes do seem small and also, if a hedgehog got in those arms and decided not to come out, it would almost impossible to get him out. :lol: I wonder if they make different sized ones because Mika's looks larger.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
That's what I was wondering, Nancy. From the image it looks like it could be a lot of fun, as long as you can remove a hedgehog that doesn't want to go... I'm thinking if Rose didn't want to come out it may be trouble... although honestly it took Chicago traffic to make Rose curl up in a tight ball.

Ferret.com says the octo-play is as follows: The main body is approximately 8 in. x 11.5 in. high with 5- 2.75 in. x 11in. long arms for tunneling fun.

a 2.75 diameter arm certainly wouldn't be big enough for a sizable hedgehog. Either Mita has small hedgehogs or there is a larger octo-play?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Only one of our guys is allowed to play in the little octopus we got for them. He's on the tinier side-- our normal size hedgies barely fit through the mouth hole, let alone the arm holes and it's a real pain to get them out :?

That being said, the one that CAN fit in there loves it! AND doesn't even go to the bathroom in it (thankfully, cause I can't imagine that thing is any fun to wash)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input everyone! :)

I also thought the octopus looked small on the Web site. My question for Mika (well, Mika's owner, lol) is how is it to clean? I don't think I'd get the octopus, but I'd imagine they are probably all made out of the same material so cleaning them would be similar. Do you just spot clean it, or do you dunk the whole thing, hand scrub it, and then hang it to dry?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The Octo-play is big enough for hedgehogs. But when you, want him to get out, they don't want to. So I have to put my arm in a hole of the octopu and push my hedgehog out!! :lol:

·
Registered
19 Posts
We used to have the octopuss for our ferrets, i never read the tag. But i can tell you that i threw it in the wash with the rest of their bedding and then i dried it in the dryer :)

I dont know what the tag said, but i washed and dried mine and it was fine.

Hope this helps,
Kupcake

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
I get the impression that if you are having to push them out, I would have to cut it to extract Rose ;) . Hmm, Maybe I see a sewing project in my future....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Kupcake said:
We used to have the octopuss for our ferrets, i never read the tag. But i can tell you that i threw it in the wash with the rest of their bedding and then i dried it in the dryer :)

I dont know what the tag said, but i washed and dried mine and it was fine.

Hope this helps,
Kupcake
I do the same thing to wash it!! And I don't have problem!! ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
hey where could i get that octopus? would it be at petsmart? :?: it looks like a hedgehog would love it, and i just might have to add it to my supplies list...which means more money to earn... :roll:

·
Registered
126 Posts
ok...thanks for the info, LG. ANd I have one more question...how big exactly is the octopus? And would it fit in a 10 or 20 gallon sized aquarium? :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yikes! Are you planning on keeping your hedgie in a 10-20 gallon? They need much, much, much more room than that. A twenty gallon long wouldn't even be enough. You should definitely look into different housing.

Hedgies are somewhat guinea pig size, so keep that in mind while looking. The octopus would take up almost an entire 10/20 gallon tank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
well, there is this hedgie at a pet store that I've got my heart set on...and i'm saving up to buy he/she. but he/she is in a ten or twenty gallon aquarium and (dare i call he/she an it :lol: ) he/she seems to be fine in it. he/she's a sorta small hedgie. i wish i could weigh he/she and tell you guys. :| i took some pics of he/she today and touched he/she! I've NEVER touched a hedgie in my life before today!!! i know, i know. if i love hedgies and am a member of this forum, then why have i never touched a hedgie? well, I've never had the opportunity. anyways, i will post the pics as soon as i can. i guarantee it, you guys are going to love he/she! oh, let me tell you about my experience! okay, so i went into the pet store. i asked if i could handle the hedgie and take a few pics. the employee said yes but warned me that i might get prickled and to slide the tank door closed when i was done. so i touched the hedgie!!! and he/she made these weird hissy/snuffling/puffing noises. and then he/she self-anointed. he/she kept curling into a ball. and the quills feel rough! it's just like petting a hairbrush. :lol: anyways, i took a few pics and i will post them as soon as i learn how! (which is soon with the help of my dad) :D

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
just because they keep the hedgie in a 10-20 gallon aquarium at the store does not mean its big enough or that its a healthy type of cage. A hedgehog, regardless of its size needs at the barest minimum a 2 square foot cage, with good venitilation, which an aquarium doesn't have, and to be honest I wouldn't keep a hedgie in anything smaller than 4 square feet. so there is no way a 10/20 gallon tank would work. We have a 70 gallon aquarium for our fish and that wouldn't even be big enough for a hedgie to be comfortable in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts