Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm a new Hedgie Mom as some of you may know.
Ok when I first got her. (met the previous owner in a parking lot to pick her up) She picked her up out of the little box and handed her to me and Shelby let me hold her she quilled up a few time's but it was a little chilly out. so I put her back in her box in the car (didn't want her to get cold).
For the first few days she didn't really want to be handled I understood she was in a new place with new people. I noticed her feet were a little dirty so I gave her a bath on about the 3rd day she then would let me pet her and pick her up. I wrapped her in a towel and then dried her with the blow dryer. She has never really ran around in her cage she only come out of her "bedroom" to eat and drink. the first few night's she wouldn't even do that. she would run around in her playpen in the floor.
And this is what is worrying me. Now she still won't run around in her cage and now she doesn't even want to run around in her play pen. I gave her lot's of toys but nothing.. she just wants to sleep and now she don't even want to be picked up. I keep her in her play pen most of the day and put her in her cage at night.
I can't get her to eat any kind of treat. the previous owner said she liked meal worms but I can't get her to eat them I can't get her to eat fruit only her cat food.
and what's worrying me the most is now she has a slight runny nose at time's. Is she getting a cold? or am I just a worried for no real reason? the other morning I woke up and it was a little cold in my room. could she have caught a cold then?
Or I think she might of been on a water bottle because when she goes to drink from her bowl she sticks her nose into the water and then starts sneezing. but that's not when her nose is running but could it be caused from that?
Anyone got any suggestions? or anything?

This is what she does most of the time now she hide's under her plate. Or in her tube wirh her little butt stuck out... lol

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
What's the temperature of the cage/room? I found that my hedgehog, Lily, got a LOT more active once I bumped up the temperature in my room. I had been keeping it at about 69-71 (Farenheit), and as soon as I found out that was a bit chilly for her, I've been keeping it at 73 or above. She started moving around her cage a lot more after I did that, even though she had never actually hibernated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. I haven't get a thermometer in her cage yet but our thermostat is usually set between 68 and 72 but I made a cover for her cage to insulate it a little and keeps draft's out and at night all but about half of the front is covered.
And I got a small heater for her when she's in her play pen.
Oh and I forgot to mention in the first post but since I got her she has lost several quill's but she does not have any bald spot's. is it normal for her to lose that many? she's about 1 1/2. I don't see any mite's on her.
Also could she be lazy because she don't have a wheel yet? I'm getting her one it just hasn't got here yet. :(

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You might want to try to increase the temperature in her cage.

Also, she needs at 12-16 hours of light. If you have the entire cage but one section covered, she might not be getting enough light. Hibernation can also be light induced, as in the winter, the daylight hours are shorter, which is why our hedgies need to have some sort of light for at least 12 hours.

They DO lose quills here and there as an adult. And right now, it might be spring quilling, as LG had posted her hedgie has lost a few quills.

However, since you mentioned a runny nose, I'd suggest taking her to the vets, then you can get it all checked out.

Aside: There's not much need to dry them with a blow dryer. Just wrap her up in a dry towel and cuddle with her for an hour or so. It makes great bonding time. ^_^

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks a lot.
She does get a lot of light though she is only in her cage at night when I goto bed or when I'm not home. If I leave I always open the front "curtain" on her cage and during the day she's in her play pen with lot's of light (but not too bright).
Except right not she's in her Hedgie bag I made her asleep on the bed next to me. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts