Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a new hedgie owner, and like all new parents, I'm extra sensitive to him and if something could possibly be wrong. I am waiting for my AC that I ordered to be delivered within the next 4-5 days, but it feels like an eternity, and I'm worried my hedgie may be too hot! :(

Our apartment thermostat reads around 90 degrees during the day, and I know that's too hot for a hedgie's liking. I'm doing everything I possibly can, like placing wrapped ice packs on the second level of his cage, frozen water bottles in the corner, and (hopefully) soon, a tile like others suggested, and rotating fans that are not directly pointed at his cage.

Since he stays in his little home all day, I can't see too well if he is splatting (also, is this something to be worried about?) I keep trying to peer in to see him in his house, which I'm also worried I'm scaring him by constantly starring at him, and I see that he sometimes sleep laid out (I can't see his feet sticking out at all) with his head propped up against the side of his house wall so it's slightly elevated. Is this something I should be worried about/a sign of overheating? I also worry because some of the times that I have peeked in at him, I see his body moving pretty fast up and down.

Again like I said, I'm trying to do anything that I possibly can to ensure that he is cool until the AC comes. Should I be worried? What else should I do? I just want little Herbert to be comfortable and healthy :( Please help!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi there,

Good to see that you want to take such good care of your hedgehog.
90 degrees is pretty warm indeed, but it’s different per hedgie how they handle temperatures.
What kind of bedding do you use? If he’s still in his house, I would keep him in there and just let him be. Make sure he has fresh water throughout the day and perhaps try to feed him some fresh fruits like strawberries. Be careful with any sort of AC > just like with humans, they may cause colds if the change in temperature is very drastic, etc.
If you can, shut the blinders so that sunlight can’t come in, this will keep it cooler as well.

x

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He currently has aspen bedding right now, but I was looking to change it to fleece soon. Maybe that isn't the best idea right now since it's warm?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just FYI, you'll want to make sure none of the fans cause any sort of draft in the cage, as drafts and temperature swings can be harmful to a hedgie's health.

My Hazel does fine on her fleece, and we live in AZ. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts