Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My hedgehog Galadriel is worrying me a little bit. Her sleep schedule has gotten a little out of whack recently. She was awake on and off yesterday during the day and then she slept all night last night and all day today. Then she was still asleep when I came back to my room at 11:45 pm. I moved her a bit and she woke up, but now she's having trouble moving her back legs and she's wobbling kind of a lot while trying to get to her food bowl. Is this WHS or is it just the fact that she slept so much that her limbs are still trying to wake up?

·
Administrator
3,702 Posts
Sudden changes in balance is not a common symptom of WHS, but is a symptom of many other potential issues. Many things can cause them to wobble. Being too cold can cause them to wobble, but they also will wobble if they are sick and are starting to lose strength.

First thing I would do is check the temperature of her cage and ensure it is within appropriate ranges. Next I would check to ensure that there are no drafts that could be causing a chill in her cage. Make sure nothing in the room has moved that could cause a change in drafts.

If the temperature is correct, and if she is still acting oddly, I would schedule a veterinary visit to have her checked out. Sudden changes in behavior, especially when added to wobbling is concerning and warrants a visit. Hedgehogs are prey animals and are known to hide illness up to the point that they simply cannot hide it anymore.

Monitor her eating, drinking and weight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.