Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Legolas for over a months and the first week he used his hideaway constantly but then I removed the corner litter box and put one under his wheel to save space and keep the fleece clean under his wheel. Ever since then he sleeps under the wheel in the litter box and has never went in his hideaway again. I took it out and put some little fleece squares I made him in there. He plays more now and occasionally sleep in the blankets but usually under the wheel. Everything says he needs a hideaway but he won't go in it and sleeps right in the open. It makes his cage more roomy though and he has blankets he can get under if he wants to hide. Is this alright? Or does he need something else?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hedgies are such funny animals! Some just adjust to their homes differently than others.

What are you using to clean your fleece with? Also, how is your heating setup? If you're using a heat lamp, is it directly over where the igloo is or is it over the wheel?

How long has he been sleeping under the wheel? Sometimes it's just a phase. My girl slept in her dig box for a couple of nights, then decided the igloo was better. I would put the igloo back in Legolas' cage (love the name, btw) and put those blankets inside the wheel. The only concern is that sometimes just the blankets alone won't totally hide him from light during the day, and it might disrupt his sleep cycle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been about a month since he has been sleeping under the wheel and I haven't seen him in the igloo since then. I wash all his fleece in woolite because mom won't let me put them with the rest of the laundry but he hasn't seemed to be itchy or sneezy and he loves his snuggle bag which is the same material and washed the same. I use a ceramic heat lamp and it stays about 72-76 but usually 73-74.
Some ppl say they put the snuggle bag in the cage I was scared to do this because it seems he could get caught in it or something but maybe I could make another to leave in the pen?
And thanks for replying ��

·
Registered
658 Posts
Oh wow, a month seems like a long time for him to be sleeping under the wheel! I didn't realize it would be that long haha. Okay, so maybe not just a phase.

I asked about the heat setup because, maybe if it's directly over the wheel, he likes it better because he's warmer. Or vice versa, maybe if it's directly over his sleeping area, he likes the wheel because it's cooler. Maybe you can move the lamp for a night, and see where he sleeps after that.

And hmm, I've never heard of a hedgie getting stuck in a snuggle bag. As long as it don't have any loose strands, or anything that can wrap around your hedgie's toes, it should be safe. And I feel like just leaving the bag in the cage is fine too! Ideally, as long as your hedgie has a place to "hide" if they need to, it's okay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok the lamps in the center about the same distance from both so idk if that's it or not but I'll try and I'll put a bag in it incase he wants it but I think I'll leave the igloo out since it takes so much room up and he obviously don't like it. Thank you very much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts