Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two new young hedgehogs, one male one female. I have learned so much here reading as many posts as I can. I wanted to share the wonderful vet experience that I had last night.

My male, named Lenni, had a scab on his face and had begun to shed quills. From what I read here, I figured he had mites. I called the vet who takes care of my two chihuahuas and they said they did not do hedgehogs. I called another good local vet and they made us an appointment right away with the vet in their practice that handles the exotics. They could only see one hedgehog that night. The other, my female named Tanya is going in tomorrow and will get the same treatment even though she has no symptoms.

The vet, a young lady named Dr.Ting, gave Lenni a wonderful examination. She looked in his eyes, ears and mouth. She listened to his heart and felt his belly. She examined his penis and testicles. She weighed him. He weighs 210 grams. We discussed his food, his bedding, cage temperature and size of cage. I was very glad to have someone to talk to and she seemed very knowledgeable about hedgehogs. She also let me hold him the whole time. He only balled up once for a brief time.

She could not see mites, and could not get a good scraping but we both decided to assume he had mites. She treated him with Revolution dabbed into the small of his back from a syringe. She told me that this was the standard treatment (as I knew from reading here) and should be repeated in two weeks. She told me to wipe down the cages and keep them on newspaper until they have no mites.

The cost of the visit for the one hedgehog including the medication was $75.00. I live on Long Island, NY and this was reasonable for around here. I encourage everyone to use a good vet for their hedgehogs as you establish a relationship that could come in handy if their is an emergency or serious health concern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi I was just wondering the name/location of this vet? I am thinking of taking my little guy to the vet this weekend, and I will be in Long Island.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good vet visit. Just wanted to mention that you need to make sure your two hedgies are never together, even supervised. They can mate within seconds and by having them together and not letting them mate causes the female to ovulate over and over and the male to become frustrated, which isn't good for either of them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts