Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got baby roxy in March, and the breeder gave us a wire mesh wheel.
I have had to change the wheel several times due to the wire breaking and standing up, i was worried she may step on in!

I read the care packet and she said to only use wire mesh wheels because the poop and urine will go through and when she/he continues running it will not drip or fall on your hedgie like it would using a flat wheel.

But then i see people saying to only use flat wheels not mesh or a silent spinner.

What do you recommend and why?

·
Registered
658 Posts
What breeder did you get her from? She kind of has unethical advice. Wire mesh wheels are NOT suitable for hedgehogs because they have such tiny toes and feet, which can get caught in the wires very easily. Injured or broken toes and feet, even legs or more serious issues, can result from that.

It's true that with a flat surface wheel, such as a bucket wheel or comfort wheel, flying saucer, etc, that your Roxy's poop and pee will dirty up the wheel and could get on your hedgehog when she's running on it. But a simple foot bath and daily wheel cleaning is a simple solution - much better than an injured hedgehog! I would change your wheel asap if you can :) I recommend Larry T's Carolina Storm Bucket Wheels, as they are made specifically for hedgehogs, they're easy to clean, come in many colors, last a long time, and are a reasonable price.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I know I'm the bad hedgie owner here, but I use mesh wheels. I've tried different types of wheels, but was never happy with them.
All 5 of the hedgehogs I have had have used mesh wheels. None of them were ever injured from them or had toes or toe nails caught in them.
Ultimately, you need to find a wheel that you are comfortable using. I'm not suggesting you keep using a mesh wheel if you aren't comfortable with it.
I know bucket wheels are recommended on this forum. I hear a lot of good things about them.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I know I'm the bad hedgie owner here, but I use mesh wheels. I've tried different types of wheels, but was never happy with them.
All 5 of the hedgehogs I have had have used mesh wheels. None of them were ever injured from them or had toes or toe nails caught in them.
Ultimately, you need to find a wheel that you are comfortable using. I'm not suggesting you keep using a mesh wheel if you aren't comfortable with it.
I know bucket wheels are recommended on this forum. I hear a lot of good things about them.
Then why don't you just try bucket wheels? Not only can mesh wheels be dangerous they are very uncomfortable too.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Honestly, I don't have a problem with mesh wheels. I've never had a hedgehog develop feet or leg problems. My one hedgie Molly, developed a bone infection in her leg, but it wasn't caused by the wheel. All my hedgies are happy with the wheels they use. I've had 5 hedgehogs who have all used mesh wheels for the majority of the time, so I've used them for years and trust them.
I've tried silent spinners and wasn't happy with them (my hedgehog wasn't a fan either).
I am aware that there are risks involved, but there can be risks with anything.
I've never suggested to anyone on here that they should use mesh wheels, I've just given my experience with them.

·
Banned
533 Posts
This lady at the exotic pet store said she used wire wheels too because she didn't like cleaning them out everyday! I was like "So who cares if they break their toes or legs because it is easier to clean right?!" Also I have a pink bucket wheel if anyone needs a new wheel. It's brand new, does NOT come with stand though, it is SUPER easy to make and will only cost you like 4 dollars to make.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I definitly would purchase a new wheel asap. Yes, it's a little extra work but it's much better than having a hurt hedgie and having to pay for it in vet bills. For those of you who have been using mesh wheels for a while, just because your hedgie hasn't hurt itself yet, doesn't mean it can't hurt itself in the future.

It's just easier, safer, and more affortable for you and your hedgie if you purchase a flat bottom wheel. Just my opinion :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
I don't want to turn this into a big debate, so this is that last time I am going to bring this up here.
I know mesh wheels have the potential to harm a hedgehog. But that is true about pretty much everything- fabric can have loose threads that can wrap around a toe or foot and cause damage, if you have long hair it can wrap around a hedgie's foot or toe, if you use water bottles a hedgie could get their tongue stuck in it and need to have it amputated. Their toys can break and cause injury. Everything comes with a risk.
In other threads people have told me I am uniformed or too lazy to get a new wheel, which is a similar feeling that I am getting from the posts here. This kind of reminds me when parents don't get their kids vaccinated due to the perceived risk- everyone has an opinion, and in the end, the parent's are the ones who need to be okay with the risks and whatever consequences.
I love my hedgehogs more than anything. I know I take the best care of them that I can. I've decided to use and continue using mesh wheels because I have never had problems- 5 hedgies and never an issue. I am aware that there is the potential, but I don't feel the risk is that great. If anything were to happen, yes, I would feel horrible and I would get them the care they need. You don't have to agree with my decision, but there are a lot bigger issues than what type of wheel a person's uses.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to hedges, but from what I've observed, the wire wheels have too many potential problems that can result in a hurt hedgehog.

I originally had a wire wheel, but noticed a couple wires got loose from the adhesive and stuck up a little bit. They also have paint that chips off over time and have small ends in the center than can poke the little thing when he/she is getting on and off it. But, my hedgie used it no problem.

But, because of these concerns, I decided to make one. No glue, paint, or loose ends to worry about. Plus, they are quiet, sturdy, and much bigger and more comfortable for the hedgehog. It costs about 15 bucks to make and 30 minutes of your time. The downside to a solid cake-holder wheel is the fact that you must clean it daily and they will run in their poop and pee, which means more time cleaning your hedgie.

The wire wheels get the job done, but just be sure if you use one, to check it daily for any of the problems listed above.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I agree with Melanies right to make her own informed opinion on what she chooses to use on her own animal. I'm sure she has tried all the options and weighed out the pros and cons. Ultimately in this circumstance, only she and her own hogs suffer if something were to go wrong. I don't see her going out and about telling everyone they simply must use mesh wheels. She is an adult and she is in control of her own pets. It's ok. This is not necessarily a public health and safety issue.
Personally I prefer bucket type wheels for many of the reasons listed above.

·
Registered
347 Posts
At the pet store I work at, we do not sell hedgies but for the common small animals we do have, they all receive mesh wheels. (With the exception of the chinchilla- he gets a comfort wheel)
I am getting my hedgie in october and chose a flying saucer style. I say it is personal opinion what kind of wheel you choose. None of the small animals have ever been injured from a wheel but like I said, we do not sell hedge hogs.

If she wants to use mesh wheels and is prepared in case something should ever happen, then more power to her!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I guess the way I look at it is I could drive around for 10 years with my child not in a child restraint and never have anything bad happen. I grew up in the days of no seat belts. I survived and was never hurt. My children were all in approved child restraint seats because I know it can happen and would never take the chance of my babies (human or animal) getting hurt when I can minimize or even eliminate the risk to them. Its true its easier to not use a child restraint seat but I don't believe it taking the easier way out when a safer way is possible.

My problem with it is just because nothing HAS happened it doesn't mean nothing WILL happen. I would rather be safe than sorry and not take the chance. But as previously said, everyone has to make their own decision.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts