Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed Inky has been shedding a LOT of quills lately. He shed this time of year, last year as well. I credited it to his year quilling, and the fact that his skin was healthy, and the shedding stopped made that idea make perfect sense.

Well, in about two months he'll be two years old. Definitely not quilling! Is anyone else's hedgies experiencing a "shed" or anything weather related? Inky will be going in for his annual well-hedgie check soon, and I'll be sure to talk to the vet about it. Just wanted to see if anyone else was seeing this as well. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, that's good. :) I'm still not entirely sure if he would be losing as many as he is (3-10 a night, depending on how long I have him out for) naturally, but we'll see.

His skin is in good condition, he gets flaxseed oil on his food every sunday night, and whenever he gets a bath, I use Aveeno Baby Wash and flaxseed as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Our Ivan(who's 3) just got done shedding TONS of quills, but always regrowing then. He was so grumpy he wouldn't let us touch him to change his liner! Last night I attempted petting him and he didn't quill up and didn't try to back into a corner and seems to be just fine now. I'm going under the assumption that he was shedding his quills because of a) he just got over being really ill b) New York's winter is pretty awful this year and c) it's almost Spring.

I was wondering this same question though, LG. Mostly because he was eating and running and pooping just fine, he was just loosing a lot of quills without any bald spots.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh good! More people are seeing this.

Yep, he's lost a LOT so far this year. 100+. There aren't any bald spots, though, and he is perfectly healthy otherwise. Thanks for the reassurance!

I will let you know if it turns out to be anything else. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.