Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boyfriend and I are new to the hedgehog owners world and I am the only one who does absolutely everything for Ellie. Bathing (she absolutely hates baths), changing her water, food, waking her up to clean her cage, giving her mealies, picking her up (when he was too scared to try and pick her up when we first got her) change her liners and even clip her nails. she seems to completely dislike me since i do all these horrible things. she runs away from me and tries to hide, will huff until i go away will not come and sniff me will just completely stay still hidden under her quills and even when i pick her up she tries so hard to run out of my hands and away from me but when it comes to my boyfriend she will sniff him, let him touch her without huffing, let him pick her up.

so I guess where I'm getting at is will my hedgehog always think of the worse when it comes to me? since I'm the mean old monster cleaning her cage and making sure she's feed and safe and clean? or over time will she bond with me?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awe I'm sorry your having troubles with your hedgehog. I never had Munch resent me because I kind of left him alone when I first got him, but like all new hedgehogs he didn't like me much. When I first got him he refused to let me pick him up, he hid under his walkway and would spike me with his quills if I got to close. So I eventually resorted to using gloves to take him out and then pet him with my bare hands. Nothing more then petting him and letting him explore my house and eventually he warmed up to me. Recently however I read on these forums that they need to link your scent to security, I knew munch finds security in burying his head in dark places and sleeping. So I took the shirt I had worn the previous day and put it in the cage, now he sleeps in it every night and doesn't huff and puff when I try to take him out of his cage. I'd suggest trying that! I hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i started giving her my shirt a couple days ago and I've been using her cuddle sack so she can sleep on me and hear my heart and breathing as well as bring her around the house with me and thank you i know she's quilling this second so i hope her grumps and huffing is mostly because of that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also remember, things like clipping nails and bathing don't need to be done very often. Actually they should be done very rarely, she shouldn't remember you for those things because they shouldn't happen very much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no she only got a bath once because she got poop all over her quills (ew) and one foot bath today because she had maximum poopie boots. and I've only clipped her back nails once we haven't done the front yet but they are pretty sharp the back are fine. so only once has she gotten everything

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
She doesn't hate you, she's a hedgehog, they all have their personalities. Mine doesn't mind me doing all the things you mentioned, he never huffs or anything, not even to my 7 year old daughter who doesn't leave him alone when they are both up and m the playpen; he's very mellow, he doesn't mind when friends hold him but one day he bit a friend really hard, just that friend.

Try to handle her as much as you can every day so she gets used to you, bribe her with mealies, show her you are there for her. And again, it's not hate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts