Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most will know from my prev threads I've been dealing with nasty URIs with my both my girls. Well as of tonight, now there's no doubt in my mind that Oakley has one too ( having sneezing fits all of a sudden while he 's sleeping). Thankfully the vet sent me home with extra meds in case he starting showing symptoms I just gotta call for his dosing in the morning.

I think need to put him in a separate room quarentine for 30 days after eveyone is healthy again because my same room quarentine strategy obviously failed. I dunno who had the URI first but I just don't want this happening again.

Unfortunately the only other safe room in my house is my bathroom due to my other predatory animals. It's not a huge bathroom but he'll fit and I'll close the door and keep the light on during the day. I can even take showers in a diff bathroom so it doesn't get too humid.

Would this be okay or no? I'm not sure how else to do it?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Since Oakley got a clean bill of health from the vet and the girls had URI's when there, there is more chance that Oakley got his URI from them. If he'ed had it first, he would have shown symptoms sooner.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with moving him to another spot to quarantine. It might just cause him stress and since they are all sick, it won't make much difference anyway. Is the bathroom connected to your bedroom? Ideally, quarantine should be as far away as possible.

How are the girls today?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Nancy, I think you are probably right, no point causing any more stress.

My bathroom is a completely separate room. It's right next to the hedgehog room, but still separate.

The girls are doing alright this morning.

Chloe - ate 7 kibbles + waxworms and crickets last night, pooped and peed. Even used her wheel! There is some green stool on it, so I think I just need to add a bit more acidophilus to clear that up. Otherwise she seems alright, I haven't really heard any sneezing or wheezing from her the past few days, still a strange congested purring sound when I try scruff her to medicate though.

Puff - ate 15 kibble + waxworms and crickets last night and pooped and peed. Didn't use her wheel but she's still a little unsteady because of the tilted head. I watched her last night and the tilt does look better, but I've noticed sometimes she's standing still and she looks really almost dizzy and then she stumbles a bit. She always shakes her head madly after she stumbles and then scratches her ear with her back leg. So I'm really starting to suspect either vestibular or an ear infection. At least her eating has picked up a bit though. She is sneezing though now when she's sleeping so I think she might need another round of antibiotics.

Oakley is sneezing like a mad man this morning. He's still using his wheel and eating almost all his food though so at least his URI isn't that advanced yet.

The vet should be calling me back any minute now to give me an antibiotic dosing for Oakley and to let me know if I can use some polysporin drops in Puff's ears.

Unfortunately I am leaving this afternoon for Edmonton and won't be back till Sunday so my hedgies will be in my mom's good hands all weekend. I've got her trained and there's not much more I can do that she can't, so I've decided I'm still gonna go and just call her everyday to check up.

I am definitely bringing them all into the vet on Monday morning though as I'm pretty positive they are all going to need longer on the antibiotics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.