Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the midwest, it's a balmy 26 degrees fahrenheit today. And of course the power goes out while I'm at work. Thankfully I get email notifications from my power company. They say it'll be out for another hour or so. Luckily my boyfriend has the day off so he's taking care of hedgie.
This is the first power outage with Arowen so it got me thinking of any emergency things I might need if this were to happen again. As well as considering getting a generator for the house in the future. One thing that came to mind was if there were any Wifi connected thermostats that work for small animal cages. Does anyone know of anything I could use to check the cage temp on my phone or on the computer while I'm away from home? That would come in handy the next time there's a power outage and no one is home to check on her right away. I could bring it up on my phone and check.

Luckily I work an office job so if I really needed to I could drive home, package her up in her hard carry case and bring her back to work to keep her warm.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I don't know about pet thermostats that will connect to your phone to show you cage temps, but there are cameras with built in thermometers. Theyre usually baby monitors, you can set up to trigger an alarm to your phone when the room either drops below or exceeds your set temperature.

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
Do some research on house or cabin sitters/monitors. You may find one that will have all of the features you are looking for.

I have a cabin monitor that monitors for high/low temperatures, fire alarm, and power outage. If one of the settings is triggered it calls my cell. Its probably 15 years old now and I know the model I have is not available anymore, but I have seen others on Amazon, when I've thought about what I'd do if it died.

It has provided moments where I had to leave work early because the power went out and the temperature was dropping.

I've also seen some humidor monitors that may work, so that may be another term to research on. Just watch the descriptions, some of these monitors seem to only work with bluetooth, which won't help in the situations we are looking to use it for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do some research on house or cabin sitters/monitors. You may find one that will have all of the features you are looking for.

I have a cabin monitor that monitors for high/low temperatures, fire alarm, and power outage. If one of the settings is triggered it calls my cell. Its probably 15 years old now and I know the model I have is not available anymore, but I have seen others on Amazon, when I've thought about what I'd do if it died.

It has provided moments where I had to leave work early because the power went out and the temperature was dropping.

I've also seen some humidor monitors that may work, so that may be another term to research on. Just watch the descriptions, some of these monitors seem to only work with bluetooth, which won't help in the situations we are looking to use it for.
I will check out cabin sitters, thank you! It will probably be useful for my house in genera, hedgehog or not!
My boyfriend's parents actually have a generator, so I might check that out too for my own house.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello, I am a hedgehog lover in China. Do you know MI? This company may have what you need. It has a smart system, you just need to install an APP on your phone, you can monitor the temperature in real time. You can search the Internet.
I will check that out, I might be able to get it here in America or at least find something similar. Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know about pet thermostats that will connect to your phone to show you cage temps, but there are cameras with built in thermometers. Theyre usually baby monitors, you can set up to trigger an alarm to your phone when the room either drops below or exceeds your set temperature.
Something like that would be really nice, something that alerts my phone. It's great getting the power outage notices to my phone, but I really care about the room/house temp. I will look into it, thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts