Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had little pikkle since he was 5 weeks and he's a year and a half now... he's cute and sweet and docile... he knows me and will snuggle with me when he's in the mood and he lets met kiss him and squeeze him and almost never puts his spikes up. When i bring him to the park he stays by me and doesn't run away. He's very active, he runs on his wheel every night. But i'm worried that he doesn't play... i have lots of toys for him, tubes and stuffed animals and balls of all kinds but he has no interest in them..i've tried crumbled paper and little boxes etc... but he either runs around my apartment or he sleeps but never plays with anything... he liked his toys when he was little.. he doesn't chew on things or tug of war or anything... ive seen so many videos of hedgehogs that play and interact and i wonder if im doing anything wrong, i want to make sure he's stimulated and happy cause i love him so much

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
He sounds like a 'normal' hedgie to me, likes to run & explore.

But maybe he's playing at night? Sylvie won't play with her toiletpaper roll when I'm up but she loves running around her play pen, in & out of tubes. When I get up in the morning I'll sometimes find the toilet paper tube on the other side of her crate (or in her waterbowl) so sometimes she does play with it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My hedgie Brillo isn't much into toys. (From what I have seen) I have some cardboard tubes and a few of the solid cat balls in his cage but they are always in the same place in the morning. He does love his wheel and there is always morning evidence of a good long run. :)

Brillo does on the other hand like to run around while outside of his cage during play time. We have some plastic vine-thingys coming out of one of out plastic plants and he loves to get underneath them and pull at the leaves. (I watch closely so he isn't chewing on any of the wire parts) I think he just likes to pretend to be a "wild hog" (lol). I think he sees his cage as more of a sleep area.
:) Such big personalities in such tiny packages!

·
Registered
396 Posts
my guy is the same way...i smuggled over tons of hedgie toy delights...he said screw 'em all! no interest whatsoever. he'll explore outside & run around. but his favorite things are: sleeping, climbing, chewing on anything like fleece or terry cloth (i tried to stop the terrycloth bit - no avail...he LOVES ripping it & clawing it. has a grand ol' time & no interest in strings. whew!), biting me, eating, & more sleeping. he hates wheels, tunnels, balls, any & everything else they supposedly like. his perfect day is sleeping, a little snack, sleeping, a little snack, climb a bit, sleep some more, chew/scratch on something, sleep, have mommie as a chew toy before snuggling her, sleep, run around the room, sleep. repeat. i was bummed at first, but he's got such personality...who cares if he plays with a truck. i love just watching him crunch kibble or run around.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If he runs and explores I wouldnt worry about it. I got Prick 2 balls and a car to play with. I hear him move the balls around now and then and Ive even seen him move the car. He moved it in the corner closest to me then he rammed it into the side of the cage and looked at me. It was kind of cute

1 - 5 of 5 Posts