Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

This is Pippin. He's about 6 months old. I love him dearly but he's been having some problems.

He's gone to the vet and most recently had x-rays. I'm waiting for the vet to call me today or tomorrow with the full results.

He's been on anti-inflammatories for about a week and a half now. When he first went on them, he seemed to be better but it only lasted 3 days until he was wobbly again and not able to get around too well. The vet said initially he saw a kidney stone on the x-ray but he will have more info. The vet did not want to say WHS right away.

I want to know if anyone has seen this behavior before and if it looks more like WHS than anything else. He is still eating and drinking but it seems like everything from drinking to going to the bathroom is exhausting to him. He's been just laying in his poo after he goes.

I don't want him to suffer or be in pain and I also can't spend any more money on extensive care for him. I have come to accept that he is a small creature and I have to weigh the quality of life here. He just seems uncomfortable.

If any one has any insight to what this might be, let me know. I would also like to know if anyone has had a little guy they have put down at this stage?

·
Administrator
3,594 Posts
Has your vet looked for an ear infection? I'm noticing head tilt in your video. Head tilt is a common symptom of ear infection. Some symptoms of ear infections can include head tilt to one side, wobbliness, falling over, circling when attempting to walk. i had a boy who had chronic inner ear infections and we saw all of those symptoms.

Another thought, did your vet look in her mouth? I know there was a hedgehog post on here who had head tilt and wobbliness and I believe they removed a few bad teeth to fix.

Just a couple of ideas for you. There are lots of things that can cause wobbliness in hedgehogs that isn't WHS and it can make it quite frustrating to try to diagnose them sometimes as these little ones like to hide pain and symptoms from us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has your vet looked for an ear infection? I'm noticing head tilt in your video. Head tilt is a common symptom of ear infection. Some symptoms of ear infections can include head tilt to one side, wobbliness, falling over, circling when attempting to walk. i had a boy who had chronic inner ear infections and we saw all of those symptoms.

Another thought, did your vet look in her mouth? I know there was a hedgehog post on here who had head tilt and wobbliness and I believe they removed a few bad teeth to fix.

Just a couple of ideas for you. There are lots of things that can cause wobbliness in hedgehogs that isn't WHS and it can make it quite frustrating to try to diagnose them sometimes as these little ones like to hide pain and symptoms from us.
Hi Kalandra,

He said he looked for an ear infection and he did a full check up on him and said the only thing was his back legs being weird. Thats why he said he didn't want to say WHS right away. Hopefully we will have an answer soon! Thanks for the insight!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts