Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've been using hedgehog central to care for my year old baby Smithers since I got him. All of your threads have been my main education on the subject of my hedgie. Smithers has WHS, a tumor on his stomach, and a lung that does not work. My vet has told me that putting my baby down is the most humane thing to do and I agree of course. I'm just not sure how to tell when. Right now he is getting worse. He's thin, I have to hand water him to make sure he's not dehydrated, and he poos on the spot (doesn't use his box or anything.) He's gotten to the point that he can hardly use his hind legs. He sleeps most of the day & night. He still gets excited for meal worms and still has some feistyness left in him. He's a fighter, I know this for a fact, but as an owner when do I decide that the fight is over? What are the signs that he's in pain or that the quality of his life isn't good? I will take any advice please. I'm 19 years old and I have never had to do anything like this in my life. Please help me help my baby. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'm so sorry you have to go through this, it's always a very difficult decision and only you as the owner can truly know when it's time to let him go, but I always quote Shakespeare: 'better three hours to soon than a minute too late'.
For me personally it's over (when I know they won't get better) when they lose interest in their food/water or can't eat/drink themselves, become lethargic and barely walk (if they already are completely unable to walk it already 'a minute to late' imo -- it's unnecessary suffering). So when they're not their active selfs anymore and there's no chance of a positive outcome... then it might be time to let them go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your response. I just wish I knew if he really was suffering. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I think you will know when it's time. You know him well, how he behaves, his character... you are the first to notice changes in this and then you will know when it's time to let him go. I recently had one of mine put to sleep, we tried several different treatments but nothing helped -- but he still had this spark in him, he was active, had appetite. As soon as this changed I knew it was time to let him go because he was always a very active hedgehog and lethargy wasn't like him; and like that, every hedgehog has its own charastics which the owner knows best and even though it's always a difficult decision there will come a time when you'll know it's the kindest one you can make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts