Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a hedgie can be born a standard color and then turn into a dark eyed white at quilling. Will a hedgie that is born with dark skin and all white quills stay that way or can they go dark at quilling?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Are you talking about baby quills, like the ones that come in shortly after birth? I believe all hedgies regardless of what color they turn out will have white quills then, and pigment will start showing a few days later.

If that's what you meant... :?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kind of. :?

I had a litter of hedgies that are 7 days old now. One is an albino. One is white with dark skin. She is getting a mask. Just a very few quills on her forhead are coming in with color. The rest are all white. I was wondering how whites worked from birth but she could be a reverse pinto too. I guess I get to wait and see. :)

pictures are yesterday at 6 days old

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It looks like maybe she'll just be a lighter hedgie, so the bands on the quills aren't showing. That's just my guess. (though the bands on the visor quills are obvious... pinto would be a likely answer) I don't breed hedgies and don't see babies that young often, so I'd wait for someone more experienced to help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
im pretty sure she will be a nice pinto ;)

as for the albino...you should wait could be an abricot ;) i tell you that cause i had some ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Aww they are so cute!!
When there that little and rolled into a ball the little back feet look like little flippers!! :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts