Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay, so I went to Petco the other week to check out mealworms.
One said REFRIGERATE and the other type said DON"T. Okay, which one is better?
I would buy Don't Refrigerator only because my mom probably won't tolerate having
worms in the refrigerator with the food we eat but then again we have a second
refridgerator downstairs with hardly anything.

But then there's the thing about the mealworm itself.
Are the refridgerated ones better then nonrefridgerated ones?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've been reading a lot about mealworms recently, so I'm going to take a stab at this one. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Live mealworms can be sort of "slowed down" if you refrigerate them. That is, it will stop them from turning into pupae and then beetles. To keep them alive, however, you'd have to take them out every once in a while to let them warm up and eat. There's a bit more info here:

http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3475&p=28293&hilit=mealworm+fridge#p28293

Some people freeze the live ones, then just thaw them before feeding them to their hedgies. I'm not sure what the difference between the two that you saw would be, though. I would have thought one batch of live mealworms was essentially, in terms of refrigeratableness (I invented a word), the same. I'm no mealworm expert though.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The "Don't refrigerate" ones are probably Superworm(they die in the fridge). These are fine to feed ONLY if you cut off the heads prior to feeding. There have been cases of these biting the insides of mouths, throats, esophagus and end up killing the animal. So if you buy these, just make sure you kill them first.

The refrigerate ones are regular mealworms, and you can chose NOT to refrigerate, but there would be the possibility of them turning into aliens, and then beetles. The fridge just slows down their development progress. With these, you still have to take them out once a week to feed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts