Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carson is shedding his quills like crazy. I'm finding them all over his cage, and in my bed. Any ideas on possible causes? He just had a bath for potential dry skin, but other suggestions are appreciated! I don't want a bald hedgie :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
How old is Carson? He may just be going through natural quilling, where hedgies shed their smaller quilla and grow in newer, bigger ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carson is about two and a half years old. He's still shedding. I cleaned his cage today, and counted about 65 quills in his temporary cage after only about 15 minutes :/ despite this large number, I don't see any bald spots on him!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
With the number of quills that would shed and the age it does seem like something is going on. Mites is one possibility, is he itching at all? There's other possible causes but mites is the easiest to rule out if you treat them with Revolution. If for some reason it ended up not being mites it won't hurt that he was treated for them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is no longer on wood chips, though he was when he came to me. He is now on fleece liners. he does not appear to be scratching at all, but today I saw a spot on his back that is definitely thinned of quills :/ I'm just worried about his health, but if for some reason he goes bald, as long as he's happy, I'll love him!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It might be a good idea to head out to the vet for a skin scrape to rule out any parasites / fungus. If all appears normal, it might be his food - have you given him anything new recently?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is still eating the same food, though I do plan on slowly changing it soon. I was informed that his food has no nutritional value, so I've decided to switch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts