Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to TRY and make a bucket wheel. But I've looked at several different WalMarts and cannot find any skate wheels. I checked eBay, but the ones listed are fairly expensive and seem to be for higher end roller skates. I just want some CHEAP wheels, to give this a try.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I used to get them at the sports stores. They came in sets of 8 and included wheel and bearing. Now the only store in my area that has them, you buy the wheels, then you have to buy the bearings and of course is double the price. Roller blades must not be as popular as they used to be as the departments stores used to sell wheels as well most of the departments stores don't even sell roller blades now.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I go to a consignment store near my house.
The wheels range from $4-11 each, and are new.

If you try a thrift store you can buy a pair of skates for super cheap and have eight wheels! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already tried a couple thrift stores and didn't have any luck. I found a posting on another site, where someone was using the roller bearings from shower curtain hangers. But their description was not very good at explaining HOW to attach them. I quad-skate and the bearings are sold seperately from the wheels, also. If only I could figure out how to attach JUST THE BEARING, without the wheels........... :roll:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've been trying to think of how to attach bearings without wheels as well. My hubby and I spent many hours this summer trying to make it work. I do have another wheel design that came with a rehome. It doesn't involve roller blade wheels at all. I'll be taking some pictures over the next couple days and will send you them.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Hmmm, not sure. Do skateboard wheels have the little holes in them that would be needed to attache the zip ties? I'll have to check into that.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It's a good idea, but I don't think the skateboard wheels would work. They are like a donut, without the holes in them like rollerblade ones do.

·
Administrator
3,588 Posts
One thing I noticed about what wheel you use is some move more easily than others. For example, I had one bucket wheel that I'm told was made from a hockey skate bearing. The wheel actually made some noise and became harder to spin and was only a year old and had never gotten wet (or so I'm told). It was also made so that the bearing wasn't changeable or easily changed. My preference are to find speed skate wheels/bearings. I've yet to have one of these fail (unless you get them wet).

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can get them at just about any sporting good stores. There still going to be kinda expensive so try a garage sail where some one is selling there skates. Hardweair stores have ball baring on like a plastic ring thats what i used it worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts