Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a hedgie about a week ago she was 9 weeks old when i got her she is now 10 weeks and I don't know what the store was feeding her but she was VERY nice and calm for a hedgie born in a pet store,

I am currently feeding her Pretty pets Premium hedgehog food and she seems to be pretty happy, exploring and playful,

But when do i start introducing kitten food do I add small bits of it to her food and gradually adding more and more or do I just slap it in with her food straight off the bat

(i'm assuming that its the 1st one but i'd like some advice before I do it)

·
Administrator
3,804 Posts
Any type of diet change, no matter their age should be done gradually. Hedgehogs can have sensitive GIs and some are known to stop eating completely if you change too quickly.

Diet change should be down over 4 weeks. 25% new the first week, 50% 2nd week, 75% 3rd week, 100% 4th week. These types of changes allow them to adjust slowly to the new diet. Occasionally you will run into a hedgehog that refuses the old food and will only eat the new kibble. When that happens, you may have to deal with a sudden change and the GI upset that may occur. GI upset can be in the form of green loose stools, or even fairly watery stools.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Any type of diet change, no matter their age should be done gradually. Hedgehogs can have sensitive GIs and some are known to stop eating completely if you change too quickly.

Diet change should be down over 4 weeks. 25% new the first week, 50% 2nd week, 75% 3rd week, 100% 4th week. These types of changes allow them to adjust slowly to the new diet. Occasionally you will run into a hedgehog that refuses the old food and will only eat the new kibble. When that happens, you may have to deal with a sudden change and the GI upset that may occur. GI upset can be in the form of green loose stools, or even fairly watery stools.
Thanks for your help but what are GIs and stools?? also i am planning to make the kitten food apart of her diet with the kibble cause i don't exactly want that entire bag to go to waste I want the kitten food to be like a side to her main dish y'know?

·
Administrator
3,804 Posts
You don't state what kitten food you are feeding, but most are typically high in fat. Hedgehogs love high fat kibble, but it isn't good for them. Plus Pretty Pets isn't a great food. Any hedgehog who has come here on PP immediately stopped eating it when offered other foods. Start looking for a food that fits the appropriate hedgehog profile.

Start in the nutrition section and read the pinned guides for what to feed. There is also a pinned threat on recommended kibbles. Diet and Nutrition

1 - 8 of 8 Posts