Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so is there a certain age my hedgie should be b4 i start feeding him these? he's 2 months today and eating very well... wanted to start giving him mealies, crickets, silk worms, and also start to try veggies...

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
You can start giving treats now, but don't give a whole lot and only try one at a time. Try offering one treat for a few nights, and see how he reacts to it. Then wait a few nights and you can try a new one. Sometimes they don't catch onto them right away and won't eat them at first.

Some treats will cause very runny poop, and some look like only annointing toys for hedgies. What they will eat or not all depends on the individual.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok... i'll go grab 1 of each this week and see what he does with them... that way i'll know what he likes and doesn't like... work on veggies after the bugs... thanks... i should prolly searve them dead right?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It really depends. Some hedgies are scared of the movement of the mealie and might not want to touch it. Other's need to be told that it is food. What I mean by that is that you may need to cut a mealie in half and rub the juices on the hedgie's lips just so he can get a taste of it. So just try both, dead or alive, to see which he prefers. :D

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
sic_infested said:
ok... i'll go grab 1 of each this week and see what he does with them... that way i'll know what he likes and doesn't like... work on veggies after the bugs... thanks... i should prolly searve them dead right?
You should only buy ONE new treat at a time to try. And not "1 of each". Because you don't want to overwhelm and cause a tummy upset by giving too many new and different foods all at once. So pick one and try feeding that for a week, see how the poop is and how he reacts to the food, then move on to the next treat to try.
That way, you can also know what foods your hedgie might even be allergic to.

Most bugs can be given live. Superworms need to be given "freshly" dead, as they tend to bite.

Some veggies that are hard when raw(like carrots) should be cooked before feeding, so reduce the chance of choking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.