Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate asking quetions that have already been asked, but it's also almost 1am in the morning here and I've been searching for a while so I've given up and am just asking so I'm sorry if it's a repeat! :(

My 11 week old Chloe has just officially surpassed my approximately 6-7 month old Puff's weight so I decided I better ask now. At what point should I control her kibble intake, if ever? I'm currently offering her 112 kibble per night, which of she eats around 80-90 of in one night, and usually finishes off the rest the next early evening if I haven't had a chance to change her food yet. Do I keep offering her as much as she'll eat in one night?

She's obviously growing and will probably be much larger than Puff (who is a little girl at only 370g) but it feels like she's gone from 250g to 380g over night (when really it's been a few weeks) man they grow up fast! :lol: I just don't want her to get fat. She's active though and I've been giving her either 2-3 mealies a night or one beetle and a little mini cricket and have started reducing bugs to only every second day. Is it OK to give her bugs every night or should I stick to every second night?

I just don't want to wake up one morning and be like uh-oh my hedgehog can't roll into a ball anymore cause she's 500g :lol: so just wanted to know if it's ok to keep free feeding.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
What I've read from other's posts it to continue free feedings. Let the hedgie eat if they're hungry. That said, if you notice a lot of weight gain & the beginning of obesity (pockets of fat under the arms, difficulty in rolling up) reduce the amount of fats in the food (ie. buy lower fat food) & try increasing the excercise. As for excercise, take them out to play more & try hiding treats (low cal/fat) they really enjoy around the cage so the hedgie has to search for them.

& as for size, my Sylvie grew very fast when she was younger but now, she's just under a year, she's balanced out on her weight.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
At 11 weeks you shouldn't even be worried about controlling food intake. She is growing and growing fast from the numbers you posted. My Rose grew at 10-12 g a day for quite some time. She went from being a 70g hedgehog at 7 weeks to her adult weight at over 700 g. Her brother grew much slower and became a much smaller hedgehog. Some hedgehogs are just much larger than others. And some babies grow very rapidly. As long as she can curl up fully with no skin sticking out, I wouldn't be worried about her becoming obese.

I feed mine bugs daily. For mine it is a normal part of their diet, I don't consider them treats.

And as to your question regarding when to limit. My answer is never. There are other ways to try to get a hedgehog to lose weight. Change of diet, more vegetables, spreading of kibble around the cage to encourage movement, etc.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kalandra said:
At 11 weeks you shouldn't even be worried about controlling food intake. She is growing and growing fast from the numbers you posted. My Rose grew at 10-12 g a day for quite some time. She went from being a 70g hedgehog at 7 weeks to her adult weight at over 700 g. Her brother grew much slower and became a much smaller hedgehog. Some hedgehogs are just much larger than others. And some babies grow very rapidly. As long as she can curl up fully with no skin sticking out, I wouldn't be worried about her becoming obese.

I feed mine bugs daily. For mine it is a normal part of their diet, I don't consider them treats.

And as to your question regarding when to limit. My answer is never. There are other ways to try to get a hedgehog to lose weight. Change of diet, more vegetables, spreading of kibble around the cage to encourage movement, etc.
Thank you for the advice, it's good to hear the rapid growth spirts are normal for hedgehogs because it is quite surprising at first how much weight they can gain in just one day. I agree with the feeding bugs daily, and my girls get a mixture of crickets, beetles and mealies.
Thanks again :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts