Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had our little guy for about two and a half weeks now. He is coming around so well that I cannot believe it. We gets pretty much nightly foot baths, and of course isnt much of a fan, so i make them as short as possible. I noticed the other day that his nails were a little on the long side. I tried to get a better look, but he didn't like that idea. SO my question is, how long before I should honestly try to trim his nails? I know where, to trim, and generally how (i trim my rabbit's nails as well so quick spotting is a cinch). Should i wait longer for him to warm up, or take advantage of an opportunity if i have one?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
My situation was a bit different from yours, as I brought my boy home as a baby, however, I handled my boy's feet from the day I started handling him. Every time I took him out, I'll rub at his foot, whether I want to trim or not.
I had his nails trimmed within the first week of him being with me.

Personally, I would start playing/rubbing at his feet. And take advantage of the opportunity if you get one. Even if you get 1 nail and then another nail a few nights later. It's still progress.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We finally were able to trim his nails. We used "foot dangling through cage" method. He wiggled a lot at first, but finally calmed down enough for me to trim literally every nail! He's becoming such a good boy!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well done Linsoid :)

I absolutely dreaded trimming Turbos nails for the 1st time, their feet are so tiny. but once i did it i find it easy now although i have to do them every week and Turbo is definately not happy about it, although he doesn't wriggle which im very thankful for.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i was rather confused. I have read on here numerous times that their nails grow really fast, especially the back ones. Well i know for a fact that Quilloughby's havent been trimmed for at least two months prior to when i trimmed them... And they were not all that long... would diet have anything to do with this?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts