Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! So as the date that I'm able to pick up my first baby hedgie approaches, I'm growing more and more anxious. I'm a planner by nature (I've had his cage setup prepared for weeks and have read practically every important post on this site and countless others to be ready for anything:lol:). I've never been to a breeder of any kind before, all my previous pets have been from the pet store. What kind of questions should I be asking her (the breeder)? Will she need anything from me to bring? Do I just pick up the hedgie and say peace out haha like I don't know what to expect. I understand that all breeders are different, but I just wanted to know what others went through when they picked up their new hedgie at the breeders'.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm just like you. I'm doing my research before I get mine in May.
I remember reading a sticky that had specific questions to ask the breeders.
I just can't remember where I saw it at. Look around. I'm 90% it was a sticky.
It had questions like, how old is it, any health problems, etc.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Depends on the breeder, some do an educational type program first and then let you meet several hedgehogs and then you choose the one you want.

There's a list of questions somewhere on this forum. Make sure you get some food from the breeder so you can transition them. Ask how much the hedgie has been eating, if they have been drinking from a bowl or bottle, what kind of bedding they have been on---just so you know what your hedgie has been used to. Ask about litterbox habits, if they are used to a certain kind of litter. Then I would ask for any observations about my specific hedgie is like--when they are active, what their habits are, if they like certain toys. I would also ask what the parents were like.

For instance I was told that my Nara would probably be a big girl, since her mother was pretty big.

I would bring a cat carrier or other hard-sided carrier for the trip home, lined and padded for comfort.
If the temperatures are cool, take some hand warmers and I would take a thermometer if it will be a long trip home.
I would start the CHE about 24-48 hours beforehand to get the temperature regulated--aiming for a temperature of about 75-76 degrees.
If you will be using fleece, get that settled, make sure it's been laundered first.
If you will be transitioning hedgie from water bottle to bowl I would get that ready and have both available on day one.
Double check about payment---mine prefers cash.
I should write this down, since I am hoping to get a hedgie baby around June myself. :lol:

Reactions: Chessie
1 - 4 of 4 Posts