Hedgehog Central banner

Should you keep the wheel out of the cage for the first couple of days?

• Yes, but the first night only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, for the first couple of days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No way! Are you crazy?!

Votes: 11 100.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm trying to do as much research as possible before getting a hedgehog and as I'm sure you guys have experienced there is a lot of conflicting information out there.

I remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't put a wheel in the new hedgie's cage for the first couple of days until he or she can get used to the new environment, but from what I've been reading it seems like most people don't do that, so I was wondering what you guys' input would be.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
No harm in having it in there even if they don't use it the first day!

My hedgies first night here she didn't come out of hiding AT ALL

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Because it seems like you're in prime information-gathering mode, trying to understand the possibilities:

Our first day, Tibbers slept the whole car-ride home (about 2 hours), slept through a recording session happening directly next to him (drums & vocals), woke up the first night to eat, poop, and explore my co-keeper's arms and hair for about half an hour (while pooping), went home to eat some more, poop, sleep, woke up after we went to bed, where morning-after evidence suggested he ate, pooped, and wheeled.

I understand my friend is strangely social -- he didn't learn how to huff until he got mites while quilling. Now, he does a full cactus-impression if I dare to take him out for snuggles before 7pm sharp (seriously 6:45: no deal. 7:15: just fine). He'll snuggle-sleep until about 9:30pm, when he'll get antsy, and if I don't return him to his cage, poop on me. He then eats and wheels (if it's dark enough), we have a foot-bath, he takes another nap with me, then wakes up to hyperactively explore with another eat-poop break in there somewhere. He starts wheeling sometime between 1am and 2am, and continues for 2-6 hours.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don't think Webster used his wheel at all for at least a few days, but he did have one from day one.. I don't see why it could be a problem to have it available.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because it seems like you're in prime information-gathering mode, trying to understand the possibilities:

Our first day, Tibbers slept the whole car-ride home (about 2 hours), slept through a recording session happening directly next to him (drums & vocals), woke up the first night to eat, poop, and explore my co-keeper's arms and hair for about half an hour (while pooping), went home to eat some more, poop, sleep, woke up after we went to bed, where morning-after evidence suggested he ate, pooped, and wheeled.

I understand my friend is strangely social -- he didn't learn how to huff until he got mites while quilling. Now, he does a full cactus-impression if I dare to take him out for snuggles before 7pm sharp (seriously 6:45: no deal. 7:15: just fine). He'll snuggle-sleep until about 9:30pm, when he'll get antsy, and if I don't return him to his cage, poop on me. He then eats and wheels (if it's dark enough), we have a foot-bath, he takes another nap with me, then wakes up to hyperactively explore with another eat-poop break in there somewhere. He starts wheeling sometime between 1am and 2am, and continues for 2-6 hours.
hahaha you're right I'm in super information mode, thank you thank you for all of your advice on all the threads I've posted :grin:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone!!!! I will certainly put it in. We're going to the hedgehog breeder today to start picking one out!! I'm so excited!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts