Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
One of our guys wouldn't go anywhere near it. But we found that that was because the wheel (comfort wheel) actually really hurt his feet when he ran on it, so he was smart enough to not do it. We changed the wheel (to a smooth bucket wheel) and now we can't get him off it!

Our big guy will lay down in his wheel after a few seconds of wheeling if the lights are on. It's actually pretty adorable because he's a bit too big for the wheel (even though it's super-sized) so he'll dangle his paws off the side :)

I'm sure there's a few hedgies that have no interest in wheeling though..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't really have an answer to this question- but I have noticed that if given the choice between a wheel and just running around in a big open space, Turbo would much rather just run around, which leads me to believe it's a drive for the act of running that motivates them to wheel, not the recreational activity of wheeling itself. Given that information, I'm sure it's quite possible that some hedgies won't wheel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pinny...
HATES ALL THINGS AMBULATORY!!! Got him a ball, poops and pees in it and then goes hedgie-tonic. The wheel.. Poops then pees, then huffs, then gets out of the wheel, and the poops more and then ATTACKS the wheel. :lol: :lol: :lol: :evil:

he however will happily run around the bath tub with a rag over himself like a blanky monster!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I actually went through two wheels before I found wheels by Vicki (a bucket wheel). And honestly, I think Murphey was just claustrophobic. He refused to go in a ball, and the other two wheels I bought him were on the smaller side. Then, I came across Vicki's wheel and it seemed to work. But I had to show him how to use it. I put him in the wheel and spun it for him while he was in there for a few minutes, then he got the hang of it on his own. (I also had to show him how to drink from his water bottle too, though :roll: )

So the moral of the story, make the sure the wheel is big enough and you may have to show your hedgehog how to use it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
jchedgehogman said:
i have a hedgie that dosent go in his wheel that is mounted on his cage. i try to put him in but he just gets out. is it too high??
It could be too high. He could also be deathly afraid of it. I think the free-standing wheels are a lot sturdier than the attach-to-the-cage type. Our rescue came with one you put on the cage and wouldn't go anywhere near it, but once we put a free-standing wheel in his cage, he's non-stop running.

KASeNIK said:
I think Murphey was just claustrophobic.
I'm fairly sure one of ours is claustrophobic. He looked like he was going to cry when we put him in a ball. He also freaks out when we give him baths in a kitchen sink, but he's seems to be ok when he gets baths in a tub. It's a bit interesting to me considering he's a very small guy :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.