Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hmm...

I have both a bucket wheel and a flying saucer. Both are great. However, I don't know how well the FS would stand up to a larger hedgie running on it. Inky is the perfect size at 250 grams, so one Cloud's size might be a bit large for it to handle. I'd recommend buying a Cake Walk or Bucket Wheel with a PVC stand if that's a possibility.

I think Nancy was trying out larger hedgies on Flying Saucers. Maybe she'll have input. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try a larger hog on the FS yet. Life got busy and it's been easier to just give them their own wheels. :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, we seem to have a hit! Cloud is up and well... walking.... on his flying saucer, but i can tell he is getting the hang of it. the saucer is silent with the exception of his little toe-nails clicking away. this is a far cry from the past few nights when i would hear him throwing around the comfort wheel in his cage. :? i will be returning that tomorrow.

so to answer your question, it seems the FS works just dandy for bigger hedgies.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That's good that you found one that works for both of you. Please post after he really gots the hang of it if he continues to walk slowly, or is just flying. I'm curious how it would hold up under a larger hedgie running quickly on it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can tell there are periods of time that Cloud can get really flying on that thing (the quiet 'whiring' is tipping me off) however, i guess because he is larger, he keeps moving it! so i am awake because he FS has slid back until it touches the back of the cage and cloud decided it would be a good idea to upset his bed right next to the danged thing. anyone have a redemdy for this? arghhhh.....

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Petite Pebbles doesn't seem to move hers but if Cloud at 415g can move it, I can only imagine what my big ones at 600+ and especially 875g Lexie will do to it. :lol:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nancy (and others), if you do let your 600+ hedgies try it out, I'd be very interested in hearing the results. I'm considering using one in my girl's vacation cottage... though if Cloud's experience is typical, I'm guessing it won't work out too well for my 680g girl.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just to let anyone know....Chip got a Flying Saucer and tried it out last night and LOVED it!! Poop everywhere on the wheel haha. And cleaning it this morning was the EASIEST I have ever cleaned a wheel. I'm a huge fan now and highly recommend this wheel.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
For those of you who live in the US, how much is a flying saucer at Petsmart? They are $25 here. I want another to try with the big gals because I don't think Pebbles will give her's up. Figures my daughter was in the US on Monday and I never thought to ask her to look at the flying saucers. :roll:

·
Registered
508 Posts
well i live in the US and they are $25 here too, i'm trying to deside if i want to spend that much and buy one, if i do i hope she likes it :lol:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep $25 here in Virginia, and I was the same way. I didn't know if I wanted to spend the money on it. But let me tell you-----it was totally worth it! It is SO easy to clean, and Chip just loves it. He wheels away when I'm in the room, which he never used to do on his Comfort Wheel.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Sometimes buying online is cheaper, depending on where you are/ how many you are buying. Critter Cages sells them for $10 and change, plus shipping.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Shipping is out of the question for me because of duty and brokerage charges coming across the border.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Do you guys remember what diameter flying saucer you use? The largest I found today was 6 1/2" and to me that seems kinda small.

Now since I've read on here that hedgies tend to poo and pee as they run, doesn't the flying saucer kinda "whip" it all over the place as they run around? I dont know what would be worse...poopy feet or flying feces...

I hope someone sees this ASAP b/c I'm picking up supplies tonight after work! Thanks so much guys!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts