Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

My hedgehog is about a year old, and was rescued by a friend of mine. He's albino, and absolutely adorable! However, he's a little over weight and doesn't seem to like using his wheel.
Right now the wheel I have was given to me with him by his previous owner, my friend. It's big enough, and is made of a weird, soft material. She made it herself at home, but it works very well.

Anyways, I was wondering where I could get a proper wheel in Canada, and how to get him used to it? He will only use his just before making #2. :p

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some hedgehogs don't take to wheels and there is no real way to make them. If he is overweight you could try switching to a lower fat food. Reapers food list is really complete but as long as the food has quality ingredients (i.e. no by-products, no corn - or very little of it, specified meat meal - you're looking for chicken meal or turkey meal as apposed to poultry meal, and no wheat - or again very little) and is within the suggested levels than it is good to try even if it is not on the list. You should look for foods that are 12% or lower in fat (for you I might not even go above 8% if you can find it) and protein that is not lower than 30% but not as high as 40%

There are lots of wheels available in Canada it shouldn't be hard to find one at any pet store. As LarryT said you could order a cake walk supreme or you could look for a comfort wheel (you need the biggest size it comes in) or a flying saucer wheel (again the biggest size). As long as the wheel is the right size (I think 12" diameter is the minimum but I'm not sure) and as long it has a solid running surface with no cross bars then it should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts