Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I mentioned in another thread that I have had had rats for years and I trying to re-purpose a bunch of the items that I had for them for my new hedgie.

I have quite a few large Silent Spinners, but I know that even after covering the slits, they won't be ideal and probably harder to clean. So, I just took one apart. The plastic wheel part comes right off. So, I'm curious if anyone has tried using all of the hardware from an SS and just replacing the wheel itself with a cut down bucket or cake thingie?

If not, I think I will give it a try myself. If it works, I'll take pictures and post them! I can't be the only one with a Silent Spinner that would like to make it hedgie safe!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You could certainly try & see how it works. I don't think I've heard anyone doing so before. One concern, though, is that I've heard mentions of a Silent Spinner coming apart - the plastic nut/knob on the front can come undone while the hedgie's running, and the wheel falls off the stand onto the hedgehog. So I'm not sure if that's something that can be modified if you use that stuff with a bucket wheel, but keep it in mind, just in case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank Lily! I did read about the plastic nut in the front coming off, but I just don't see how that would happen. I've used Silent Spinners for years for my rats. They run like crazy and I still often have to get pliers to take that nut off. It has a 1/2" worth of threads and it would have to somehow twist at least 8 times to actually come off. However, just to be on the safe side, I'll probably put some Locktite on there.

I picked up my bucket today, so if we can make it work, I'll be sure to post pictures!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, unfortunately, the modification didn't work. We tried all sorts of things, but the mechanism just requires to many specifics when it comes to the wheel. Ahh well, it was certainly worth a try and maybe we saved some others from wasting their time!

I ended up filling in the holes on my Silent Spinner with resin and taping the outside to be sure the patches don't pop out. I'll be replacing it with a bucket wheel in the next month or so!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Shame it didn't work, but at least you know now! Sounds like a good plan. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts