Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prudence has completely stopped running on her wheel for almost two months or so. I haven't really been worried since she runs a lot every night in her playpen, but she is steadily gaining weight so I have decided it's definitely time she starts using it again. I probably should have started this thread a while ago, but she is perfectly healthy otherwise so I was just turning a bit of a blind eye. She eats all her food, drinks plenty of water, has healthy poops, and has never attempted hibernation.

The only issue is that I have no idea why she stopped wheeling in the first place. Does anyone else find that their hedgehog is less active in winter? I know that this shouldn't effect her since she has a heating and lighting setup, but I can't help but wonder if she somehow senses that it's winter and loses the desire to run. She was definitely quite inactive last winter, but she was also severely obese, so it could just be a coincidence.

I have also considered that it may be because of the tilt or angle of the wheel. I have been randomly adjusting it almost every night with the hope that a new angle or height might take her fancy... It's obviously not working, so I was wondering which heights/angles other owners keep their hedgehog's wheels at. I have no idea what's normal anymore since I messed with Prue's so much. It's a Carolina Storm wheel.

Basically I'm looking for any ideas as to why she has stopped using her wheel, and methods to get her back into the idea of using it. I know that this really isn't super urgent, but any help or ideas whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Have you checked her feet for any signs of soreness? I assume you keep her nails clipped but I know that Nico's front nails start growing and curling under just so darned fast that it's easy for it to get away from you. I feel like I'm always fussing with her front pinky nails in particular.

And of course make sure the wheel still spins easily and freely. I'm sure you've already checked that too. Also, does it still feel stable? Or does it have more wobble than it might have in the past?

Aside from that, the size maybe? Those are 10in wheels, right? If she's a larger hog, she just may not feel comfortable on it if she's decided it's too small. You could pick up a comfort wheel since they're a little bigger diameter just to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips! It turns out you may have helped me find the problem. I checked her feet last night and found a massive scab on her front paw! I have no idea how it happened, but I don't think I would want to run with a paw like that. If she continues to be inactive after the scab has healed I will definitely consider buying her a bigger wheel. She is large in general without the extra weight, and you could be onto something regarding the size.

Thanks so much!

Reactions: shinydistraction

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow what a coincidence! I bet she's a cutie!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts