Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just went out and bought my hedgehog a new 12" flying saucer wheel. Now, it doesn't fit in the cage because his cage is so small as it is. i have another, bigger cage on layaway that i have to pick up in two weeks. it's one of those ferret cages that i saw on here and there was a tube leading up to the shelf with the wheel on it. My problem is that i tried placing him in a little playpen type area [its actually just a really big plastic bin i used to use for storing fabric. It has shorter walls]. I put the wheel in there and he didnt go on it, I placed him on the wheel and he walked off. I think this is because he only likes to come out to play on his own at night when its pitch black and im in bed. What should I do? Should i leave him in the bin at night? Or do I just have to wait until I get the new cage? help!

·
Registered
395 Posts
one thing i would try is putting him on teh wheel and using your hands to block him from steppign off. Eventually he will begin either running or sleeping.

It takes some hedgeis a while to get used to running saucer style, and he may fall off a few times, jsut pick him back up and place him on.

As for putting him in teh bigger pen, i am not sure. Is he a climber? how high are teh walls?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried putting my hand there but he only ran for a couple steps. maybe i should do it longer. the walls are maybe four inches high but they're plastic so when he tries to climb out its too slippery for him.

·
Registered
395 Posts
if he wants to he could easily escape. Vex can climb up a plastic wall that is about 6-7 inches tall if he gest in the corner or pros off anything.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My guys (and most hedgies) refuse to wheel when someone is watching, let alone in the room. My girl LOVES her flying saucer wheel, and, although it took her a day or two to get the hang of it, she's fine on it. You may just have to wait until you get the bigger cage.

While she doesn't really climb, I'm sure it's actually a great ramp for hedgies to climb to get to their cage and climb the bars. I'd be super careful of that when you get your new cage.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I wouldn't leave your hedgie in the lower-walled bin at night. Mine can climb out of a plastic bin that has solid 10" walls. And I think she could climb out of taller ones if I had them. It's amazing what hedgies can do.

If you'll be getting a larger cage in two weeks, I'd just wait until then. In the meanwhile, you can try the wheel in the low-sided cage while you're supervising, though I wouldn't count on it working with a closet wheeler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts