Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my boyfriend and I took our little guy on a trip for the weekend, and took his FS with us. Unfortunately my boyfriend forgot to pack the base to the wheel in the bag before we came back home, so he went without his wheel last night and the night before. We are letting him run around for a few hours each night before bed, but I want to get him something until i go back home in two weeks. I was thinking about a silent spinner, but the store that I have a gift card to does not carry the big one anymore. Instead they have the Comfort wheel. I was wondering if this would be alright for a couple of weeks? I plan on attaching it directly to the cage, so it wont tip over with him in it, but I havent heard rave reviews about the product. Id prefer to stick with Petsmart, as i have a gift card i can use towards the purchase, otherwise its $25 out of pocket. Just figured i would get some feedbacck

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
A Comfort wheel is a far safer and better wheel than the Silent Spinner. Silent Spinners are dangerous and can cause injury.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh.. well that solves that problem right away then! haha. Thank you Nancy. They are noisy thought, right?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have the 12" Comfort wheel and me and my hedgie love it! It's not really noisy at all~at least mine isn't and it's really easy to clean. It makes a very mild sound that I actually find very soothing, believe it or not! :p Nothing like the old days of those horrible ever-squeaky hamster wheels from when I was a child. I'll never forget when my little sister (we were both really young at the time) shoved something under the wheel one night because her hamster was making us crazy!

I think you'll be fine with a Comfort Wheel for a few weeks, you may even end up liking it more than you think! Have fun on your vaca with the little hedgie!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Which one of the stores did you try? If you can't find one in the Buffalo one or the surrounding burbs like Cheektowaga, Kenmore, or one of the Tonawandas I'd try the one on Transit south of Lockport. They usually are very well stocked with a bunch of variety because they are the first large petstore chain for everyone living North of Lockport to the lake. The fastest way to get there would be to take the Thruway East to the Depew exit. You may already know but I remember earlier reading you were going home to PA so I wasn't sure if you were from the area. If that fails there is a small local Petstore in Lockport called Petsplus that has a variety of wheels. If the Petsmart didn't have it you'd just stay on Transit into the main town til you hit the light where 31 crosses. You'd take a left and its on the right hand side not to far down. A family member recently told me there is a Petstore now in the Eastern Hills Mall which is also on Transit South of Lockport. Hope this helps, I'd just call to double check because it has been a few years since I have lived there and been to the stores so it could have changed.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Comfort wheels can be noisy but a gob of Vaseline on both ends of the shaft it rides on will quiet it down considerably. If it thumps, a hair scrunchy around the wire uprights so the wheel sort of rides on the scrunchy will help too. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We bought a blue comfort wheel today. I was just glad they had more than purple for my boy! Haha

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So we bought the comfort wheel. and it will not attach to the side of the cage. Well, it will... but it bends the cage, and he falls out when he steps in. If we use the base, he tips that over as well. What should we do?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
It should not tip over on the base unless he is a very very huge hedgehog or unless the bottom of the cage is not level enough. You can attach the wheel to the side of the cage like in the photo and then it won't tip over. The hook is attached using a plastic wire tie and when wrapped around the back of the wheel as shown, it also prevents the wheel from falling off the metal frame.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/ ... lback1.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts