Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For example, feeding time, play time, when to clean and how often, bonding, etc.

I recently acquired a hedgehog unexpectedly, and she's in pretty rough shape. Right now I'm just trying to focus on getting her healed and fattened up a little. But other than the basics like what temp to keep her enclosure and what to feed her, I really have no clue what I'm doing.

So I'd really appreciate a run down of everyone's hedgehog care routine! Do you feed in the morning, at night, or both? How often should I change bedding completely and how often should I scrub down the cage? What cleaners should I use? Are there any tips and tricks you might have that make the cleaning process quick and easy? How do you bond and how long does it take to have them get use to you? Any tips for clipping over grown nails on a hedgehog that is familiar with you?

Whatever info you have, I want it! I don't know if I'll be keeping her, but I want to make sure I can take good care of her now, and have some good info to share with the potential new parent/s.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For example, feeding time, play time, when to clean and how often, bonding, etc.
Usually I fill my hedgehog's food at night, after I am just done cleaning his cage. that means I free feed him throughout the night. Play time I do at random times, when I have the time I play and bond with pepper. I clean my hedgehog's cage every day, in the evenings.
How often should I change bedding completely
I change bedding whenever it is dirty and starts to smell.

how often should I scrub down the cage?
In my opinion, once a week.

What cleaners should I use?
I usually use alcohol, then wipe it off really well (if this isn't safe please let me know). Sometimes I just scrub the whole cage with soap and rinse really well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts