Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
wylie coyote is about 8 months old (i don't know his exact birthday) and he weighs 289 grams as of today. the vet was not totally clear with me as to whether or not this was underweight for a male hog of his age. i always thought he was healthy, though he is a lot slimmer than most hogs i've seen. he has been EXTREMELY active in the last 4-5 months and is currently eating a combination of two low fat/high protein cat foods (chicken soup for the soul & purina naturals). he refuses mealworms and any other "high fat" additions to his diet. he has always been a picky eater and has been free-fed (he always has food in his dish at all times) since the moment i got him.

im just worried i may be doing something wrong in terms of his diet? should i switch to one with a higher percentage of fat? it took a long time to find a combination of food that he would consistently eat because he's so picky and im not sure another long transition to a new food is a good idea, especially if he needs to pack on some pounds.

background information:

-he runs a lot at night, i hear him for at least 3 hours before i go to sleep, he basically runs all night
-he eats the same amount he has always eaten (although thats not a lot) it is approximately two teaspoons just from eyeballing.
-he is not food motivated
-he is very "sexually active"
-skin & quills look great, bright eyes, no discharge from eyes or nose

anyone have any opinions on his weight? and could you tell me some of your hedgies weights? he's been around the same weight always but something about the way the vet was talking about it today worried me. she said he was "slightly underweight"

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats bascially what my vet said as well... not quite round enough. i found a good food with 15% fat that didnt have basic fillers like corn and rice etc. so i bought it and were going to give it a go. im not taking him off the low fat options right away of course, i'll do a transition. but im nervous about him, especially being so little. ive seen a vet several times and she says hes the picture of health but just needs to put on a few hundred grams...

any advice on putting on weight would be appreciated. he doesnt care about food, he'd much rather run or play or snuggle. any suggestions would help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts