Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a hedgehog that has been tentatively diagnosed with WHS, or some kind of unknown neurological issue. Basically, we've ruled out everything else.

We love her dearly, and while she is in good spirits, we're willing to try just about anything to keep her comfortable or reduce symptoms as long as possible. I've heard about vitamin E and massaging, which we've been doing. I was wondering if anyone had tried anything like laser therapy or acupuncture? Or other treatments?

Is there any sort of research being done on symptom reduction in WHS?

I know we' likely don't have much time left with her, and we're not going to prolong her suffering if she's not doing well. But if there are things we can try, we'll try them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So very sorry to hear your Hedgy might have this. I have had a male and female that did have this and both were under the age of 2 years. I tried to find out all I could from my Vets and elsewhere, but sad to say I didn't find any positive treatments from them. I'm not even sure anyone is doing any research on this terrible disease. It is very very hard to watch them suffer from this, it happens so fast and isn't something to witness. My Oliver passed end of December in 2019 and he would just lay in his blanket and move around a little, I assume he was trying to fight it. I told him to just go and he did. My Violet just recently went thru this in April after having female surgery (Spay). She suddenly lost use of her rear legs and would just try to move around by pushing and pulling herself around. I did setup a little container with some material on the inside area so she could move around in a circle (she loved her wheel but that wasn't possible). I could tell she was getting worse and decided to have her euthanized, which was so hard to do. I am so sorry and really wish you and her well, I'm also sorry that I don't have any positive information for you. If she starts having more problems getting around, you might want to consider letting her go to the Rainbow bridge. I believe all my boys and Violet are having a Hedgy good time there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It's really difficult. The vet said we'd know when it was time. She's still able to get around some, and doesn't seem to be stressed or in pain. She's always been a more laid back hedgehog, so not super active. We're helping her eat and drink, and helping her walk around when she wants to. I'm hoping that I'll know when it's time. We lost our dog and another hedgehog back in March so that makes this all the more difficult. She's only 2 and we're not ready to lose her. She's the most personable, sweet hedgehog I've ever had. It's going to be hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts