Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have had my little Zorro for about 3 weeks now and today i checked his temperature in cage today and was 17 degrees to my shock!! I have a heat pad under his house in his cage which usually keeps house area at 21 degrees which i know is the correct temperature for a hog. I guess weather has turned cold. I need to keep him warmer and i was thinking a ceramic heat emitter is the way to go, but any advise please. He has a plastic base and wire cage so i don't know how much heat will lose through bars etc. I was thinking a 150w bulb- anyone know if that will produce the right temperature please? His cage is 1mtr long by apx 50cm wide and 50cm high i think. Any advise appreciated, thanks. x

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
A CHE-set up should be a great way to heat his cage! Because the cage is so long, I think I would suggest trying to do two lamps, to make sure the heat is spread out evenly - You could do two 8-inch (or 10-inch, which is usually recommended for spreading heat out best) lamps with 100-watt CHEs in them. If you get a 1000-watt Zilla ReptiTemp thermostat, you can hook up to three lamps into it, so it could control both lamps. They're actually cheaper than the single-lamp version right now at Petco - http://www.petco.com/product/108340/Zil ... SiteSearch

1 - 2 of 2 Posts