Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was at petco and saw a little corner type pan that was for small animals like gerbils and mice. I t seemed like it would be way too small though. What should i use to put the litter in so I can start litter training my hedgehog? I'm sick of having to change is liners every other day, ha.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a corner litter pan that's made for rabbits and ferrets, maybe you could check at another pet store to see if they have a bigger size? Some people use a frisbee as a litter pan, you could try that :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What works best is a low sided tray that will fit under the wheel and protruding out about 5-6" in front of the wheel. Most hedgehog potty on the wheel so it will naturally fall into the tray and often they will do the rest of their business in the tray. Small sized cookie sheets or serving trays work great. Anything with sides 1/2" to 1" is ideal.

Some hedgehogs will choose a corner or certain spot to go in. If they do, then putting a litter box there will often work but sometimes one under the wheel and their chosen spot is needed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay i'll try the cookie sheet, thanks so much everyone! oh and one thing, will my hedgie try to eat the litter. It's pellet litter, kinda like yesterday's news. I dunno if yesterday's news comes in different forms but the kind that we use at the vet i volunteer at is pellet form.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It depends on the hedgie, some will try to eat it, some don't care. Just keep an eye on him for a couple of days to see if he tries.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts