Hedgehog Central banner

what to feed her

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  ILOVElily 
#1 ·
hi, so my hedgie lily has been eating her commercial hedgie food with some cat food called royal canin is that high quality? i think it is but i am not sure could some1 recomend a specific cat food that is VERY good 4 her , i just want the best 4 her & i waz also wondering what is healthiest bug to feed her i do vary it but i was just wondering is there one? if so which 1???

thnx :)

#4 ·
If you want the best for her I would recommend not feeding any commercial hedgehog food. ;) The foods listed in the link above are all good quality.

#8 ·
Sophie gets two live mealies each night, but also has some canned ones that she doesn't like as much. While she'll eat them she definitely seems to prefer the live ones. The canned do have an odor to them, but it's not overwhelming or awful, just mildly unpleasant.

#9 ·
I personally think live is healthiest.

I also raise my own mealies. You can buy some live ones at the store and keep them in the fridge until your hedgie eats them all, if you want. The cold will prevent them from pupating and turning into beetles.

#10 ·
LizardGirl said:
I personally think live is healthiest.

I also raise my own mealies. You can buy some live ones at the store and keep them in the fridge until your hedgie eats them all, if you want. The cold will prevent them from pupating and turning into beetles.
Do the mealies have to be took out of the fridge and feed once a week to live?

#11 ·
I rarely put my mealies in the fridge, but from my experience no, they don't need to be taken out to feed. They should be fine for several weeks.

#12 ·
Sorry to take the thread but I did have a question too about the mealworms. I feed live mealies to my hedgehog and when I bought my latest container of them yesterday I noticed that there were the aliens mixed in with the mealies. I know from other threads that I have read that its one of their life cycle steps but wondered if its bad they were in with the other mealies. When I opened the container the mealworms look nice and healthy but there are a bunch of the shed exoskeletons and a good amount of the aliens. I was lucky and still had some from my old container but wanted to check in case it wasn't a good idea to give the new ones. Another question is are the Aliens ok to feed to them or is it not recommened? Sorry for all the questions but I really was unsure and was planning to bring them back if I couldn't find an answer tonight. I haven't found a thread yet that discussed it.

#13 ·
Yep, the pupae are fine to feed! A bit higher in fat and messier if spat out, but safe. :lol:

Sometimes if the mealies are hungry they will snack on the pupae. Since they are in the fridge though, I wouldn't worry. If you want you can pick them all out and put them in a separate container to feed first, if you don't want them to turn into beetles. As pupae they do not eat or move (well, they can twitch, but that's about it).

#16 ·
Superworms are similar to mealworms but not the same. Superworms are larger, have darker stripes, and pupate into different beetles (and more creepy looking ones at that :lol: )

Giant mealworms you should avoid as they are hormone enhanced to make them keep growing instead of pupating.

Waxworms are like little fuzzy white boogers. Squishy and fatty. Some hedgies love them, some don't like the texture. They are very high in fat though so they should be fed in extreme moderation or only to hedgies that need to gain weight.

#17 ·
ok i was wondering cuz everyonce in awhile i will give her a superworm my nearest petstore only has them, but she does like um better :D
anyway i have heard u can give them crickets...alive....quick question, how the heck is a little stubby cute hedgehog gonna chase and leap 4a cricket :lol: ...i just cant see a hedgie doing that lol not becuz a crickets gross but bcuz how will a hedgie jump i have had a gecko so i know crickets jump. how wil a hedgie get a hold of it?
has any of u fed urs a cricket? cuz i am really curious....do they chase it ? should i try to feed lily a cricket ??????

#18 ·
Inky is pretty lazy and unless it walks right under his nose, he won't go after it.

I freeze mine for 15 minutes, let thaw, and feed them dead. That was I don't have to worry about escapes and Inky isn't discouraged by having to chase them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.