Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through all the breeding posts, But some questions came to mind.

What if you DO have all the time in the world as well as experience bottle raising baby animals.

What type of formula would you use to feed hoglets? Kitten? Puppy? etc

As far as from some posts Ive read, people are talking about how momma killed so many of the babies...and they left the remaining live babies only to be some how stunned the mom killed those as well. If you have the time to TRY and save the babies, would it be smarter to try or to just leave them?

I am just concerned as I rescued a pregnant female hedgie from a petstore and she is due any day. I am a SAHM, and was raised by a vet so I bottle raised everything from mice and hamsters up to livestock and exotics...But never a hedgehog. From what I understand, They are VERY difficult to keep alive without there momma, But it has been done! and Mostly what I've read is people who have to work or go to school that are trying to bottle or hand raise the babies and the babies die...

I was just curious as if she does start killing her babies or rejects them. I'd like to make that effort in saving anything thats living the best I can.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have tried to hand raise two babies in the past, and they only lived for 2 to 3 days. It is EXTREMELY hard to raise rejected babies...and it is heartbreaking when they pass away after you've put so much time and effort into trying to save them.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I haven't raised hedgies before, but I've hand fed mice. I gave the babies slightly diluted KMR, with a drop of simethicone to prevent bloating. I kept them on this until they were able to sample solid food, when I'd soak bread in the mixture. Finely crushed cat food would replace the bread (for a hedgie) though. The mice did great and grew up big and healthy.

That's my only experience. I wish I could help more. :roll:

·
Registered
241 Posts
To feed babies hedgehogs, we give them half of puppies milk and half of goat milk.

I know some breeders that tried to feed rejected babies. And the older stays alive at 3 weeks. It's very hard to do that!!

Good luck! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts